SideMount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to take a Sidemount class here at Geko. I am trying this because I am a BIG (very big) gasser.

Has anyone on this board done SM in Indo? Or know someone that has? Or know a resort or LOB that has done so? or refused it?

The guys on Blue Manta told me it was "no problem", in fact better than the current 6L (40c.f.) pony that I use now. I would love to hear from others about how this might work or not work in various situations in Indo.

Thanks,

Bill

I'm sure there are sidemount instructors in Indonesia, but if you want to learn from one of the best, improve your gas consumption, and dive some outstanding wrecks, I can highly recommend Andy Davis (scubatechphilippines.com) in Subic Bay in the Philippines.

Personally, when I dove in Indonesia (Amed & Komodo), I had to use standard tanks and I was on my own for setup. I felt very comfortable having been trained by Andy. No divers there doing sidemount other than me. I'm sure there must be tech diving shops in Indonesia that can help you with instructors experienced in sidemount, but if you can get to the Philippines easily, I think you'll find what you're looking for working with Andy.

I think Cedric only dives sidemount anymore and am100 percent sure he can get you up to speed,
He intoxicated almost all his staff with sidemount, I guess Bill will be instructed by Rico or Eka.

Hi Bill

I always take my SM rig on vacation as I dislike single AL 80, but with 2 I have at least 50% of each left post dive (with would be below my preferred minimums on a single)

It has teh extra advantage of for once having more gas left than my wife

No resort has refused, some give me a 2nd tank free, some charge a daily rate for a 2nd tank

SM is one of these things, You learn (from a good instructor who knows that rig) and then you faff and play until you have your rig perfected for you

You will go through numerous configs of rigging hardware to get it set up the way you want (and a great deal of bungee too) Try different rigging - a good instructor will give you options and you decide what works best for you

I personally prefer ring bungee and choker for cylinder attachment because I boat dive, on my rig it's optimised for Indo diving with a waist pocket on each cylinder cam band, for mask and dsmb etc etc, I have neck attachments on my cylinders to clip off and stow a reef hook and pointer as well as clipping my regs off to when I hand the cylinder to the boat (ladders generally not up to me climbing out fully rigged etc

If I'm penetrating wrecks, then I reconfigure for that environment obv

My point here is once you have the basics SM is often customized to suit the users needs and their diving local

But I love mine, I'd use it more at home if it weren't for gas logistics on our boats

Hi Bill

I always take my SM rig on vacation as I dislike single AL 80, but with 2 I have at least 50% of each left post dive (with would be below my preferred minimums on a single)

It has teh extra advantage of for once having more gas left than my wife

No resort has refused, some give me a 2nd tank free, some charge a daily rate for a 2nd tank

SM is one of these things, You learn (from a good instructor who knows that rig) and then you faff and play until you have your rig perfected for you

You will go through numerous configs of rigging hardware to get it set up the way you want (and a great deal of bungee too) Try different rigging - a good instructor will give you options and you decide what works best for you

I personally prefer ring bungee and choker for cylinder attachment because I boat dive, on my rig it's optimised for Indo diving with a waist pocket on each cylinder cam band, for mask and dsmb etc etc, I have neck attachments on my cylinders to clip off and stow a reef hook and pointer as well as clipping my regs off to when I hand the cylinder to the boat (ladders generally not up to me climbing out fully rigged etc

If I'm penetrating wrecks, then I reconfigure for that environment obv

My point here is once you have the basics SM is often customized to suit the users needs and their diving local

But I love mine, I'd use it more at home if it weren't for gas logistics on our boats

Thanks Dubai that is very helpful and actually addresses the questions I asked! WOOOO_HOOOO!!!

- Bill

Hey Bill,
Adding to Dubai post, i ve been living and diving in Indonesia the last 5 years and never ever used my single tank rig again. As long as dive centers have AL80 (and they all have) you're good to go. Maybe some will look you with a weird eye like wtf is sidemount but they will always let you do your stuff. If they try to charge you more, just explain that you use 2 tanks for the same 2 dives so no overcost for them.

Indeed you defintely want to learn sidemount from someone that use it on a daily basis, not a self certified Sidemount Specialty instructor. If he goes Wreck or Cave that usually is a good sign.

I do differ a bit from Dubai configuration choice but that's not the subject and as he said "a good instructor will give you options and you decide what works best for you".

Let us know if you have more questions about this subject.

Robin

do differ a bit from Dubai configuration choice but that's not the subject and as he said "a good instructor will give you options and you decide what works best for you".

I think that’s the important bit

I took a basic course, and then sat down with a respected tech instructor to explore options. My pile of discarded bits and pieces is a testament to the trial and error of fine tuning and optimising my rig for my type of diving. I think I tried every size of bolt snap before I settled on the Goldilocks option.

The nice thing about the SM community is that people are more open to different ideas and configure (as long as the basics are dialled in). You don’t have any of the nonsense form those evangelicals who insist there is only one way.

Likewise to @billt4sf if you want anymore assistance or advice just yell (with on the thread or PM)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom