Apeks Gearlock vs SP Super Cinch cam band systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daniel M. Thomas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

I'm looking to get a new set of cam bands to use for my BP/W single tank setup and my zeagle ranger single tank bcd setup. I have normal plastic ones at the moment but it's a bit of a pain lifting the bcd over the tank so i'm looking to get one of these quick release systems. I know i could just remove the weights but that complicates the whole process even further, so I have narrowed it down to the Apeks/Aqualung gearlock system or the Scubapro super cinch.

Does anyone have any experiences with either of these systems or can advise on which would be better?

Looking at both of them it looks like the gearlock might hold the tanks a bit better given that it has a rubber traction pad on the back of the buckle, compared to just a piece of webbing/fabric on the scubapro. I also saw on another thread someone mentioned that there was an older and a newer style scubapro super cinch design and apparently the older ones were a pain in the backside to adjust the size. I tend to dive with either stubby/regular 12L tanks or a 15L steel tank and swap them around all the time.

I can get the Apeks cam bands for £76 for both, or the SP cam bands for £90 if i buy them individually or £70 if i buy them with the scubapro soft backplate and just put the backplate in the bin. I would have bought the SP ones already but it was in the back of my mind that it might turn up with the older designed ones that i have already been warned about.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Dan

i think it would be hard to put them friction pads on the scubapro ones with a single tank adapter being used, correct me if im wrong.

Im leaning more towards the apeks ones too.

I have the Apeks and they are great. I put some weight on the bands and this makes it a lot easier to mount the tank. It really shines when switching on a two tank dive on a boat.

I assume you mean Grip Lock and not Gear Lock, right? I am not familiar with the SP item, but do use the Aqualung/Apeks item and do like it.
One more "pro" you may not be aware of - it closes in two steps, making it far less likely to clamp it on a finger.
One "con" that may or may not also be true on another brand - if you often switch between tanks with different diameters, it will take you a few tries to get used to readjusting the cylinder band.

I use the scubapro, always been great for me. The newer style have a rubber pad sewn on the tank side of the straps.

I assume you mean Grip Lock and not Gear Lock, right? I am not familiar with the SP item, but do use the Aqualung/Apeks item and do like it.
One more "pro" you may not be aware of - it closes in two steps, making it far less likely to clamp it on a finger.
One "con" that may or may not also be true on another brand - if you often switch between tanks with different diameters, it will take you a few tries to get used to readjusting the cylinder band.
The one good thing (I guess that's debatable) about my Axiom i3 is that it came with a griplock tank band. It's not hard to switch over to my 8" tank as there are gaps in the velcro that show you where to place the post. Works great.

Apeks wins hands down

Man your i3 is a thing of intimidatory beauty

Remember what happened when they were all sitting around the fire on boulders
and that weirdo turned up with a chair

Axiom i3 - Google Search

the hose must go the hose must go the hose must go

You might wanna get rid of this Haven't drowned. Yet. scratching of yours though

Hey the sig stays because that declaration still stands eh. Came close, but not quite.

If I had a time machine, going back in time and buying a non-i3 BC would be the last thing on my mind, though. Probably would have kept all those shares in Apple instead of selling.

Apeks wins hands down

Man your i3 is a thing of intimidatory beauty

Remember what happened when they were all sitting around the fire on boulders
and that weirdo turned up with a chair

Axiom i3 - Google Search

the hose must go the hose must go the hose must go

You might wanna get rid of this Haven't drowned. Yet. scratching of yours though
By the way I just bought a BP/W. Maybe I can sell the i3, maybe not. Who cares. Might just take it out to the range and strap it to the steelie and practice with the AR a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom