Diving in NYS questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRob0311

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm from the Rochester area and just got certified and looking for some help.
Are there any rules regarding diving locations? Can I dive in any public body of water? What should i take into consideration when choosing a dive Location?
Thanks for your help.

When I first started diving in MA - I took time to go to the sites I wanted to dive - I did not even bring my gear. I was on an information hunt.

Once there I would find someone that did not look too busy and ask questions. I asked questions like what should I expect at this site? Is this an advanced site? Any hazards I should be aware of? What sites have easy entries? Do you have time to show me the site? How deep is this site and where are the more interesting areas?

You can come up with your own questions but it is to start a conversation. You did not mention if you have a buddy - so you could ask if they come here regularly and see if you could join a dive... Just be yourself and be nice - most divers will freely give you information and if they have time will dive with you.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. My wife and I both just got certified so we would likely dive together.
I'll definitely do that. Maybe I'll get a notebook to got down their answers and go to a local dive shop and pick their brains as well.

One of the shops in Syracuse dives Skaneatles Lake from a pontoon boat regularly. Not too far from you, and mellow diving with low stress. Been a couple of years since we dove there, but if they still run trips it might work well for you.

Lance

One of the shops in Syracuse dives Skaneatles Lake from a pontoon boat regularly. Not too far from you, and mellow diving with low stress. Been a couple of years since we dove there, but if they still run trips it might work well for you.

Lance
Thanks! I'll definitely check online and see what I can find out.

Been a long time, but the two shops in Syracuse that I think I remember were:

National Aquatic Services

Aquatic World, North Syracuse

I'd check with them for local diving...

Also, just a quick hop up I-81 puts you in Alex Bay (shore dive on the Islander).

Been a long time, but the two shops in Syracuse that I think I remember were:

National Aquatic Services

Aquatic World, North Syracuse

I'd check with them for local diving...

Also, just a quick hop up I-81 puts you in Alex Bay (shore dive on the Islander).
Actually thinking of planning a family trip for 1000 islands next year. Any recommendations for shore diving locations? Want to rent a place for a week.

Welcome to diving

Have you checked out Lake Erie boat charters?

Home - Lake Erie Adventure Charters

https://ospreydive.com/

There are also some spots for shore diving in Lake Erie. You generally are required (or should) tow a dive flag with you.

NY has rules that limit diving in most state parks. You can get permits for a few of them.

Back
Top Bottom