Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read more about this sea urchin die-off in my latest book, Natural History of Cozumel. The damn things are now making a comeback, but I'm not so sure I am happy about that. It is kinda like if mosquitoes had a massive die-off and then made a comeback. Everybody on Cozumel used to have calcified spines of the suckers under the skin of their hands or feet.
They keep the algae on the reefs to a dull roar. The latest die off in Bonaire shows how good they are to have around. Greenish yellow algae in the shallows and lots of red algae on the corals. I'd rather dodge urchins.

Are the northern reefs healthy?

Well that is a huge bummer. Essentially wipes out all first dives and will put huge pressure on dalila north..... and if recovery is their goal three months is not going to do anything.

I know that “we” need to do something, is the one that the authorities planning the answer? Based on what I read, probably not. Unfortunately can a plan be put in place that can be comprehensive enough to make a differences?

Anyone have any detailed information on reef closures within the marine park that are supposed to go into effect? I am understanding that official announcement is supposed to come out on Monday the park is going to close the southern portion from Palancar around to Isote on the other side starting in October and possibly will re-open in January. Basically the southernmost accessible reef would be Cedral or possibly Francessa.

The statement I have seen was:
"
Dear Members:

At the meeting on Tuesday , September 17, the Marine Park Advisory Council voted unanimously, that for the sake of the reef, Polígono No. 1 will be closed, from the concrete pier south of Playa Palancar to Punta Chiqueros on the other side of the island.

This is not going to solve the White Syndrome but the coral and el Cielo will be release from stress, it will be a month-to-month monitoring and in January 2020 will be consider the reopening of the area mention above.

The criterion of precautionary action in a protected natural area, conservation and as a world heritage site is the same criteria that apply to human health.

If you see that the patient is deteriorating, precautionary measures are taken before it deteriorates further or causes death.

That is why it was decided to give the Palancar and the rest of the reefs to the south a Vacation.

This will help also to review what is happening with the wastewater disposal of hotels and Beach Clubs in the south.
The sanitation measures of sewage in these hotels are based on not affecting the health of humans but are not based to protect the reef in front of them.

The National Guard, the SEMAR and the Harbour Master undertook to strengthen surveillance by standing guard on that pier to prevent the passage of vessels.

There will be a 15-day advertising and socialization campaign for Cozumel to find out about it.

It was not a unilateral decision of CONANP, it was a decision of the civil society of Cozumel.
-Taxists
-FPMC
- Consignee Agencies
-API
-Hotel Association
-Tour Operators
-Capitanía de Puerto
-Semar
-State Goverment
-Municipal government
-UQROO

Next Monday, Sept. 23 a Press Conference will be given to publicize the details of this action

View attachment 541234
I’m
Curious as to how YOU saw this? You are not a “member” of ANOAAT and as stated, the announcement has not been made and we MEMBERS of ANOAAT are taking measures to stop this. But now you have shared something publicly that a) was obviously not for you b) that is not yet official or Meant for public consumption and c) a topic that you have only partial information about

THANK YOU CHRISTI!
I would ask that Scuba Board take this post down until formal and final statements are released. I do not understand how someone outside the ANOAAT group and the Marine Park thought it was all right to make such a public statement when they are not involved in this process and the meeting hasn't even been held yet and no final decisions have been made.
Not to mention that any statement released would have most certainly been made in Spanish??
So is this a translation someone posted?

ANY public announcement regarding scuba diving in Cozumel and any dive areas closed should come from a announcement from a FORMAL source!

THIS IS HIGHLY INAPPROPRIATE!

Was there any discussion at all with ANOAAT? There's nothing about this at all on their FB page.

NONE! We had an emergency meeting and are fighting it.

Their reasoning admits that the diving industry will take the biggest economic hit and it also acknowledges that the diving industry has the LEAST impact on the stress on the reefs.

Lack of enforcement and mismanagement has caused the 50+ illegal operators to continue. Those of you who dive with illegal ops (no park permits and/or not a registered business [cash only is a good hint that they aren’t paying taxes and we’ll as low priced], and those who Allow clients to carry spears) have contributed to this blanket “punishment”.

It is an asinine “solution” and I am optimistic that we will be successful With a presentation of alternative options.

I would ask that Scuba Board take this post down until formal and final statements are released.
That would not help. The word went out today, from some dive ops, on FB, etc. and people are going to discuss it, whether in this thread, on new threads, on FB, or whatever. It's really best to do so here, with SB moderation, and not try to hush the talk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom