Primary or alternate donate poll

Primary or alternate donate

• Primary

Votes: 216 74.7%
  • Alternate

Votes: 73 25.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am surprised at the lopsided results already. I was expecting a fairly even split. I suppose I should have eliminated tec divers from the poll as they probably fall back to the same method when rec diving. I would also venture to guess that far more divers with under 100 dives are more likely to use the alternate hose to donate.
Yes, and this is SB, everyone dives a BP & wing.... As you know, I dive a 40" primary under my right arm and a short hose alternate, bungeed around my neck. This is not representative of the general diving population.

I am surprised at the lopsided results already. I was expecting a fairly even split. I suppose I should have eliminated tec divers from the poll as they probably fall back to the same method when rec diving. I would also venture to guess that far more divers with under 100 dives are more likely to use the alternate hose to donate.

Probably should've yeah, although it also depends on the instructor and if the diver was exposed to more 'tech-like' configurations. It seems no matter the level, all of the gear advice threads on here from new divers and those looking for their first set of gear are always pointed to BPW and primary donate. I'm still under 100 dives but I switched from jacket to BPW and primary donate after taking a class where those were the standard rental set-up. I much prefer always knowing exactly where my altie is and the comfort of a long hose under my arm. Helps me feel more safe in case my instructor materializes out of the ocean behind me to rip my primary out of my mouth again.

Most SBers (or at least the most active ones) seem to be tech divers or at least divers using tech configurations.

I've seen several instructors mention this to OW classes. I just plan to donate the octo because that's how I was taught (unless your LPI and octo are together of course). Haven't had the need to do it in real life and doubtful I will as 98% of my dives are solo. But of course there could be a reason to make use of my own octo for some reason I suppose.

I had a dive buddy switch to her own alternate. Was getting water on the primary and just switched to her alternate rather than bother me. When i looked at her a few seconds later she held up her primary, gave the trouble sign, pointed at her alternate (in her mouth), gave an okay sign. Turns out there was a hole in the diaphragm on the primary second stage... rental gear. :)

To be honest which ever one they grab is going to the the one they get. Then again I don't dive with instabuddies, my wife is really good at gas management, and we each generally have a mental estimate of what the other's tank pressure should be compared to our own. If she had a sudden failure I'm pretty sure she'd stay calm enough that we can work it out with a minimum of panic. She was trained to use the octo and that's the one she'd expect.

I have a few over 1800 dives, about a third of them are solo. Many of the others are with my family, they would never need to share air. Of all the other dives, I have never had to share air with anyone. Of course, when I have a new buddy, I carefully explain to them how they are fully responsible for their own air supply. Much of my diving is drift in SE FL. my instabuddies know to tell me when they need to surface and then follow my line up, it works very well for everyone.

I became a dive professional with a mainstream agency before I found Scubaboard. I was then dry for 18 months as I learned more about alternate configurations, more about tech diving, other agencies, cave diving, CCR, and everything else scuba related that is beyond warm water recreational diving.

Once I learned about the long hose and primary donate, it didn't quite make sense to me at first. Why would you want to wrap it around your body? What if I don't carry a canister light? Once I saw it in real life and thought about an out of air situation and what I would have done as a novice diver with 10s instead of 100s of dives, I decided to use that for my setup. I thought it made sense to grab/donate a reg that you and your buddy absolutely know the location of without having to look.

Fast forward to the first diving trip I took with my long hose configuration. Dive boat...insta-buddy...led by instructor guide. My buddy was too far away from me. The other dive pair in my group was between me and my buddy. An o-ring on my SPG went and it started free-flowing. I thought this was going to drain my tank fast so I looked first for the dive guide, but she was facing the other way and farther away in front. I moved in to the closest person in the other dive pair, but I couldn't find her alternate. It was tucked behind her in the pocket (rental gear). By then her buddy had seen something going on and swam closer; I saw her alternate in the triangle and grabbed hers. Then the instructor/guide came over and switched me onto her alternate. I remained calm throughout this process and thought about my actions.

My biggest takeaways from this incident were: 1. I didn't realize that the HP hose has a tiny hole and will last longer in that situation than an IP hose to the second stage. 2. I needed to be better about situational awareness and staying close to my buddy, even if they are being annoying and slow and aren't looking at the things I want to. 3. Someone's octo may not be in the triangle, but I always know where to find the primary.

As a result of this, I trained more; I practiced more; I always brief my dive group on my setup; I always stay close to my buddy; I prefer to dive redundant. Since then, with more experience and hundreds of more dives, when I've had to share my primary, I've always been able to anticipate the experience and have it right in front of the donee when they need it.

I also value diving in trim and being able to maintain that trim in an air-sharing situation (even in recreational diving). What I know about decompression theory also makes me want to be ascending in horizontal trim rather than a vertical position. That's going to be difficult for most divers with the typical recreational setup with a 40" octo.

I just share my experience. Your mileage may vary and your training and perspective may be different.

I hope if it happens they won’t rip my primary out unexpectedly but what ever one they use or need I will take the other. If I have a choice I would probably give my octo.

Having an Aqualung Airsource 3, I would donate my primary and the Airsource becomes mine. My regular dive buddy is aware of this as his setup is similar, but a different brand. Any insta-buddies I get find this out only if I remember to tell them or they ask before we enter the water. Most I've had tend to do their own thing anyway. I know, I'm bad!

Yes, and this is SB, everyone dives a BP & wing.... As you know, I dive a 40" primary under my right arm and a short hose alternate, bungeed around my neck. This is not representative of the general diving population.

Yes, but you don't dive a BP/W! Sacré bleu!

Back
Top Bottom