And so it begins. Panic in the California dive boat industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed but can a small battery sealed inside a stainless case generate that much heat? Not arguing just truly curious.
A small metal case just like ......say a phone???
This video was reported to happen when a phone was dumped in recycling bin and shorted out (just like saltwater can short a battery)

A small metal case just like ......say a phone???
This video was reported to happen when a phone was dumped in recycling bin and shorted out (just like saltwater can short a battery)
A lot more power available in a phone and case design is very different.

compared to what please?

Because, many camera batteries have more , laptops, lights, DPV's have a TON more, canister lights , video lights. Actually phones are pretty low power and density in Li Ion, they are however very compact batteries and sometimes harder to prevent shorts as samsung and others have learned.

I didn't read through all the posts, but when I've slept on board a dive boat at night it is usually because the boat left during the night to get out to the islands prior to or at daybreak and there were crew present on board.

compared to what please?

Because, many camera batteries have more , laptops, lights, DPV's have a TON more, canister lights , video lights. Actually phones are pretty low power and density in Li Ion, they are however very compact batteries and sometimes harder to prevent shorts as samsung and others have learned.
Than the Teric specifically.

Wanna know what's REALLY SCARY about the posted video and your question about power available ??

That recycled phone WASN'T CHARGING and the Li ion exploded into multiple fireballs even after half dozen fire extinguishers.

Wanna know what's REALLY SCARY about the posted video and your question about power available ??

That recycled phone WASN'T CHARGING and the Li ion exploded into multiple fireballs even after half dozen fire extinguishers.
That is scary, more so when you think of the fact that nearly home on the planet has more than one of these in it, why doesn’t it happen more often?

Edit to add, that phone was likely damaged which has some effect on the explosive response I assume.

That was the material on fire, except for really large multi-cell batteries there is only one explosion/fire started.

.. there will be no charging stations available between 8:00 pm and 6:00 am.....
IMHO,,,I think the changes will go further because " Charging " is not the problem. It's the battery shorting out (ie saltwater, etc)

Given that 95% of photogs really don't want their expensive rigs 'touching' another rig due to damage and scrapes I don't think even a 'community' fire box will work. Just my opinion but I think everyone will be required to put ALL types of battery devices inside their own supplied fireproof bag each night. The bags are very common for laptops and not cheap, $500+. You know how all the big rig guys use soft-sided coolers on boats?? Bet we see a soft-sided 'fire-proof' bag that easily packs flat in your luggage very soon.(predicted here 1st :) )

Bet we see a soft-sided 'fire-proof' bag that easily packs flat in your luggage very soon.(predicted here 1st :) )

Charging bags used for charging high-capacity lipos (like the ones used for RC vehicles) have been available for years. They're dirt cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom