BP/w Grab Handle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some wings have a nice heavy duty handle you can grab.
20190918_162232.jpg

I cringe when I see people grab the tank valves for a carry.

why?

@Keith.M I hope that was sarcastic? Don't lift by those handles.... They're nice for hanging the wings if they aren't on the backplate, but not pick anything heavy up other than the wing itself by that handle....

I was inspired to buy the Aqualung outlaw bc after remembering a European DM in the Caribbean many years ago who reminded me of the guys in Jacques Cousteau films. He dove wearing only a simple backpack and speedo.

Ages ago I picked up a Hammerhead backplate that had handholds cut out on each side so it could be carried horosontal with a single tank and wing attached, very convenient and it still weighted 6#. Unfortunately they dropped off the internet.

The old plastic backpacks had a handle, but they don't get any weight off your belt, and the size doubles that can be used is rather limited.

Bob

99% of the time I have to hand up my gear to the boat after doffing in the water. That's the time I have to be vigilant as the person doing the lifting is always tempted to grab it by the corrugated hose near the tank as it's usually the highest thing out of the water. I have to tell them grab the valve.
When I carry I usually carry by having the valve in one hand and the bottom of the tank in the other, so it's basically sideways.

When I learned to dive, the way to put your BC/ tank assembly in my area was to swing it over your head. I did that exclusively for a long time. Then, sometime in the mid 90's I changed to a backplate, but had a hard time swinging the assembly as securely as with the BC. That's when Fred T considered making plates and I asked him to make me one with handles.
For actual transporting the assembly I found a very sturdy handle that attaches to the tank itself. I bought a few in Spain to test. After loving them, and a long on line search I think I ended up with a supplier in Israel.
They are solid, as opposed to some models found in the US that hinge supposedly out of the way made of flimsy thin material.

I know you're asking for backplate handled but I guess for me, the BP assembly is not that difficult to carry when not attached to the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20190921_070547006.jpg
    IMG_20190921_070547006.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20190921_070606778.jpg
    IMG_20190921_070606778.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 166

Back
Top Bottom