Backplate Recommendations for Oxycheq Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, the 18 won't be enough. I have an OXY 30#, and have tried a 18" Oxy (hot pink! It was awesome) a few times.You are about 20 lbs more lean than I am, and in freshwater, the 18 was just barely enough buoyancy to to keep my lips out of the water. That was in a 3mm two piece suit. In salt water it would probably be just enough, but only in calm conditions. The difference in size/drag between the two underwater is insignificant, just get the 30.

With the 30, I have dove everything from no suit tropical diving to 5mm wetsuit to drysuit. Al63s, AL 80, steel HP100's... doesn't matter.

For back plates, I'd go with aluminum or dive rites travel ss plate with all the cut outs to keep the weight down. If you find a plate/wing combination that doesn't work together, I'd be surprised since they seem to be pretty universal.

-Chris
Thanks for the info Chris.
I’ve moved off the 18# wing. Looking at wings with mid 20-30#....but staying away from pink. Haha

I use a larger Oxycheq wing, cold water diver, but completely agree with the Freedom Plate.

Bob
Oxycheq is a great wing. I really like it.

But after my consultation with Eric and he said that VDH wing fits his plate like a glove. So I opted for the VDH wing. VDH wing is awesome as well. It even has a slimmer and smaller profile than Oxycheq. When I put on the BP/W set-up sans the tank, the wing is not visible from the frontal view. Oxycheq is also a lot more expensive locally.

Going to Nusa Penida oct 10. Great white seen there today.
Yeah, that created quite a buzz yesterday.

Good luck with your trip. Hope the water is cold. When I went 2 wks ago, the water was too warm for Mola2.

Yeah, that created quite a buzz yesterday.

Good luck with your trip. Hope the water is cold. When I went 2 wks ago, the water was too warm for Mola2.
Thanks. Fingers crossed for the great white and mola.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom