Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alec did not write the equipment specialty actually he taught things in it that were questionable at the very least , I was doing an idcs course at his store when some one said he taught you to rebuild your own reg in that course , I documented it and wrote all the names that were there , then we went to lunch . I had full intentions to call padi about it . after lunch alec put his head in class just to say "by the way my equipment course is mine not padi " I never perused it but I knew the truth.....not long after that he lost his instructor ticket because of medical issue so I let it go ..........may be that was what you were taught @Ayisha

alec did not write the equipment specialty actually he taught things in it that were questionable at the very least , I was doing an idcs course at his store when some one said he taught you to rebuild your own reg in that course , I documented it and wrote all the names that were there , then we went to lunch . I had full intentions to call padi about it . after lunch alec put his head in class just to say "by the way my equipment course is mine not padi " I never perused it but I knew the truth.....not long after that he lost his instructor ticket because of medical issue so I let it go ..........may be that was what you were taught @Ayisha

You didn't take the course though, am I understanding that correctly?

You just want to bash the guy some more?

Not a good look on you or anyone else for that matter.

I generally like Alec's vintage stuff. I think he's an incredible wealth of knowledge, especially with the obscure stuff. I think his grasp of the more modern stuff may not be as thorough as it should be considering his stature in the diving world. I didn't see the video, but if he took it down and admitted the error of his ways, I can certainly appreciate his attitude.

Hi Steve. We were not taught to rebuild our regs in the Equipment course. Alec said that we would not be qualified to service regs, but it was important to know how they work.

They said though, that buddy breathing was usually not taught anymore throughout the agency because apparently there were too many mishaps while buddy breathing/training. Hence his concern for 2 divers not having a reg in their mouth at the same time.

With the widespread use of the alternate second stage, instructors did not have to, or take the time to, properly train divers to buddy breathe. The mishaps were due to poor training. Now using an alternate scecond is called buddy breathing, the mishaps may also be due to this communication issue.

The issue is not whether two divers do not have a reg in their mouth at the same time, but how well one is trained to do the procedure. But if you learned to buddy breathe you know that.

Not to say that having and using an alternate second is not a better and more elegant solution. The big but is that as long as one can get air when one needs it, what difference does it make whether there is a reg in ones mouth, or one's buddy's, or not.

Bob

@Lake Hickory Scuba followed up with a youtube post today offering a counter-argument to Alec's now deleted video.
LHS has a bunch of great 5-minute videos. Unfortunately, they are 10-15 mins long.

buddy breathing: We were taught it, and tested on it on my YMCA class in 1988. Even with that, when we did our open water dives, all the equipment was configured with an octopus/alternate second stage.

I don't remember my wife's PADI class in the mid-90's, but to me it was surprising that the daughter's class (5 years ago) didn't cover it. I saw the discussions here, times change...

The next time I was exposed to this was when I took a NAUI MSD in 2012. For most of the students, it was a completely new concept. I wonder now if it is still in that program.

I wonder too if it is a DM skill?

my daughter just completed PADI OW last year....she did do buddy breathing. Probably not required but some instructors still do it.

My daughter also remembers sharing a single regulator between two people last year in the pool for PADI OW, but not in the open water sessions.

That's a good video on the subject. He discusses it openly and emphasized that the importance is you and your buddy knowing your gear.

I am a rec diver and likely will stay a rec diver but I dive a long hose with necklace secondary. It is the way I am most comfortable and I know my gear.

@Lake Hickory Scuba followed up with a youtube post today offering a counter-argument to Alec's now deleted video.

Back
Top Bottom