General liveaboard question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done 8 LOBs and although I have always gone with my buddy/spouse, there have always been single divers on these trips who easily find buddies. If there's not another single on the trip, they get paired up with DM or other groups, depending on the boat and diving set up.

In my experience, it's also easy to find others to dive with if one person in a buddy pair needs a break. For example, on our most recent LOB my husband developed an ear problem and didn't dive for the last day and a half. I had multiple other buddy pairs ask me if I wanted to dive with them after that and I also paired up with a DM for one dive. I got to dive as much as I wanted while my husband enjoyed his book, the sun, and the gentle rocking of the sea.

Also, some of my favorite times on a LOB have been when sitting out a dive--it's quiet, spacious, and if feels like your private yacht with a few crew looking after you. If you like lounging, reading, watching movies (often an option in your cabin TV or on a tablet) you'll have a good time even if you don't do all the dives.

I agree with all the comments that it's easy to find someone or group to dive with on LOB. I guess gone are the days where you just jumped overboard, buddy or no buddy, and came back to the boat an hour later. As long as you returned to the boat "not dead," everyone was happy. :)

@Scuba Lawyer There are still some boats that essentially do that. I think that is in the minority now because first, the liability on the boat which I can't blame people for wanting that because sometimes it's the divers fault, but sometimes it's something the boat did/or didn't like leave without checking everybody is on the boat for instance. Next I think many people are like me where I've never been there before that day, so I like the basically guided tour because I think the person who knows where everything is would be the guide (not always true). I'm not knocking your idea of fun, just saying why I think it has changed for some boats. There is no right answer here.

@Scuba Lawyer @Shasta_man Every LOB I've been on has been fine with divers doing their own thing as long as they have a buddy and there's no special reason the entire group needs to stick together with the guide (shark dive, current, drift dive, that's where the shipwreck is, etc.). Often after the dive briefing they'll ask if everyone is going with the guide and you can just let them know you aren't if you don't want to. I really dislike diving in a big group of fins and elbows and bubbles and divers swooping in front of you to get a photo of whatever you're looking at, so Mr. Potato Cod and I make it a point to go the other way from the group if at all possible. Never been a problem. Most other divers do seem to stick with the guide, and there are advantages to that of course, but with a great big ocean I like to spread out a bit.

We have gone to Bonaire 5-6x, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to do as many dives as my husband would like. I'd love to have a dive trip where he could easily find others to dive with when I'm not feeling up to it and I thought a liveaboard might be an option.

Don't limit yourself to a LOB!

I think that by the nature of the diving in Bonaire (shore diving, mostly) finding an insta-buddy is much more difficult. Heading off in a vehicle to find a spot and dive from the shore is not a 'group' activity. Bonaire has maybe skewed your perspective of what a diving vacation can be.

There are many other locations where I have traveled solo, and was able to make every dive. I usually find an insta-buddy, or made a new week-long friend. I also have frequently paired with the dive master, when necessary. Any destination where boat diving is the norm, and includes a dive guide, and your husband will likely dive as much as he wants.

Some examples of places I've been traveling alone with great success:

Cozumel (Scuba Club Cozumel) There are many resorts to choose from, and all boats have a guide.
Roatan (CocoView Resort) Boat dives and on-site shore diving, guides and insta-buddies.
Grand Cayman - (Cobalt Coast) Any resort, most all include dive guides.
Phuket, Thailand - (Seabee) Big day-trip on the boat, 4-5 divers per DM!
Curacao - (Ocean Encounters) DM on all boats.
Key Largo - (Rainbow Reef) Free guides with Rainbow Reef, but most other boats don't include one.

The LOB's that I've done (Bahamas, Australia) both with bringing a buddy, and going solo, I never had an issue with having a buddy to dive with, even when my normal buddy (wife) decided she didn't want to make every dive. In the case were I went solo, the roommate I ended up with was my defacto buddy, but on the dives he skipped I still found another diver to buddy with -- typically the spouse of someone who also didn't care to make all of the dives.

For those of you experienced liveaboard divers - quick question! In your experience, is it easy/difficult to find others to dive with while on a liveaboard? Are there certain fleets or locales where it might be easier?

I ask because I have persistent ear issues. We have gone to Bonaire 5-6x, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to do as many dives as my husband would like. I'd love to have a dive trip where he could easily find others to dive with when I'm not feeling up to it and I thought a liveaboard might be an option.

We have a local dive shop where we were certified that does dive travel, but they aren't going anywhere we're interested in next year so I'm trying to find another option. Thanks!

I'd look at other dive clubs that are running to places you would like to try, the bigger the better. Far easier to find strays in larger groups.

@potato cod Either I've been darn lucky or you are going on the wrong boats or areas! :) I do notice that a lot of people on the board tend to say get away from the group but that hasn't been my experience at all. Diving with the group definitely doesn't automatically mean cattleboat diving. A typical group for me has been 5-6 people plus the guide. That group usually falls out as 2 people that have the camera rigs who usually trail around the back and maybe camp out shooting something, seeing them again at the safety stop when the group comes back togehter or even coming back after we're aboard. Then 2-3 people who are just diving, maybe a couple who dives together and hangs in the general area finding their own stuff, maybe the guide points some stuff out. I'm a video guy so it's easy for me to shoot stuff compared to the photogs (focusing for video is WAY easier). I might hang with the photogs for a dive or with the guide who knows where to look. Sometimes we dive the plan, sometimes we end going elsewhere.

Nearly all of my diving has been in the Pacific and Asia mostly with Westerners. Perhaps it's tougher and more expensive to get there so maybe that changes the people I encounter. Whether they are annoying back on the boat is a separate question. :) Come to think of it, the only time I've dealt with anything like what you describe was in the Caribbean which is easier for most people to get to (not for me being from CA).

The only time I don't like the "go in the opposite direction" people are when they don't say that's what they are going to do so we start heading off but the guide is left wondering whether they are coming or what.

I've certainly had a range of experiences but my point is diving with the group doesn't automatically mean fins and elbows and idiots pushing in. There is no right answer so whatever works for you.

@gr8jab <<Don't limit yourself>> Had to chuckle because that's usually the LOBs line to the resort diving crowd.

Yup, I most frequently dive in the Caribbean since it is the easiest place to get to and works for shorter work breaks. Usually the LOBs have been 12-18 divers, which is not cattle boat numbers, but still a lot when everyone is getting in at the same time. And even normally chill divers can get a little silly when the guide points out a seahorse or whatever.

Yeah, I would never go off in my own direction without letting the crew know. I wouldn't want to leave the group confused and waiting on us. Also when we let the staff know, they'll often give us a couple additional pieces of info regarding navigation, things to check out, etc.

Edit: Also, to be clear, the other divers are generally great, I just like my space. Mr. Potato Cod even more so.

Back
Top Bottom