Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is he trolling ? :)

He has many, many good, intelligent, useful videos.

He whiffed this one. Big time. Hard to believe. It needs to expunged from the archive. But, I share the view above that criticism should be tempered by acknowledging big contributions on subjects he's more familiar with.

Except for not explaining long hoses as well as he should have, he's right overall. 99% of the divers out there expect to be grabbing a bright yellow reg during an out of air emergency, and there should be a bright yellow reg for them to grab. I know this violates the religion of the DIR folks, but ya'll are more of a cult anyway. Alec teaches to normal divers, and generally does a good job of it (except for that cringy rental gear thing he did some years back).

Agree with the others. I enjoy most of, if not all of his videos. He knows what he's talking about most of the time too. He got this one backwards real bad, even talking about which reg is donated etc. The "3-4 wraps of the 7 ft hose" was the last thing I heard and had to turn off the video.

I hope he fixes it, as I'm sure many new divers who follow him to his word will assume everything he presented was correct. I don't think he was trolling, or it was a joke; I think he just messed up bad.

- Jake

I had much the same reaction to this video as others. I love his videos, I have learned a tremendous amount from him but he really missed on this one, especially with the factual inaccuracies on which reg does what and hose routing.

He does have a valid point that the primary donate system is not commonly understood or practiced in recreational diving. When I dive with a new buddy or group I always have to take the time to ensure they know how my rig is set up and how the releases on my BP/W work, because they just don’t know. From a standardization perspective if you are doing pure recreational diving with folks that don’t use primary donate, those that do use it are the outsiders, the ones not conforming to widespread norms.

Except for not explaining long hoses as well as he should have, he's right overall. 99% of the divers out there expect to be grabbing a bright yellow reg during an out of air emergency, and there should be a bright yellow reg for them to grab. I know this violates the religion of the DIR folks, but ya'll are more of a cult anyway. Alec teaches to normal divers, and generally does a good job of it (except for that cringy rental gear thing he did some years back).
Yea that’s a good point he makes.

However, that’s pretty much the only one he makes in this video.

Long hose is not just a DIR thing. It is standard configuration for any technical set up for any agency. You need to be able to share air over distance and perhaps through restrictions. You can't just hold each other's BCDs and go up.

It is not necessary or "better" for rec divers. I'm not debating that. But, I will observe that a panicked diver grabs the first regulator they see, not just the yellow one, and it may be the one in your mouth. So, whether you dive a long hose or not, you should be able to cope with donating your primary. What 99% are trained to do and what 99% actually do are two different things.

Back
Top Bottom