Vintage US Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

linc213

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A close friend was cleaning out her Dad’s house in Schenectady, NY. She mentioned that her dad had an old SCUBA tank and hose “thing”. She brought it back to Maine and gave it to me. The tank still has air in it. I’m truly surprised at the shape it is in.

9B86ED4C-EE71-4B97-96E1-7B9A67CDCE67.jpeg 91860AB7-D2B9-4B96-BD38-F1BC616D2D13.jpeg
1E86CBB6-6415-49AA-8C6A-FB60FA8A23F3.jpeg DC234E1E-0185-4F71-AF1F-C50155E30757.jpeg
F7852983-4922-425B-A8CE-BCC0497B2737.jpeg

The tank dates to 5-59, stamp on the J-valve says 4-59.

She also gave me the hose “thing”.

A6F5BFD9-31BE-48DE-97DE-EE63C9950FA8.jpeg
0A682C1D-7DFC-487B-B309-9D4222260C93.jpeg
39CD5D63-32FB-4693-A658-FCB6A01682AE.jpeg

Looks to be in great shape. Not sure what I will do with any of it, but it was a pretty great surprise. The manual is from 1959, not sure of the catalog but it’s pretty neat.

Wow, Goldstocks Sporting Goods. I remember them! I lived between Albany and Schenectady (Guilderland) from '72 to '85....

Outside of sentimental value, with the box, that tank has some value to collectors. The reg is a beautiful "barn fresh". It can be made diveable...

Just WOW! (COOL!)

That is the best preserved set of original yellow hoses I have seen. I would not use those hoses for diving, but they look good.

The regulator can be rebuilt, either in its original configuration or with some upgrades.

The tank can also be serviced, but I think that tank is not galvanized under the paint. According to the US Divers 1959 catalog, they were either galvanized or yellow baked enamel.

Personally I would save the tank for a display. To use it you would have to get it hydro tested. The hydro test stamp will cut into the coating. If you want to use it in fresh water that would be OK, but in salt water it will show rust sooner that you can imagine.

The tank with the original box is also a somewhat desirable collectors item. Don't expect that is worth a lot of money, but in that pristine condition there is probably a collector out there that would offer you some money.

Good luck

I am in southern Maine. Let me know if I can help you. In the mean time you should join our dive club (Maine-iacs), we meet the second Tuesday of every month at the South Portland Sea Dog Brewing Co. at 6 PM. You can check us out in Facebook.

This total unit is pristine factory fresh and should be preserved - do not attempt to dive it or upgrade or in any way modify it
I would suggest that it be made available to very serious collectors- as a diving collectable

There are very few collectors on this board, but a number on Vintage Scuba Supply and Historical Diving society.
I would suggest that you place advertisements with both organizations.

The baked enamel was a economical method of SCUBA tank coating created during the time that John Culley was the US Diver sales manger in 1959-60 for the then mass market . It is certainly not a durable as galvanized be careful not to scratch it or in any way disturb the finish

In the event you are interested in selling the two ancillary pamphlets I would be interested- please PM me

Good luck !

Sam Miller, 111

Yes preserve everything, and don't let any experts mess with your stuff.

Also find out a bit of history about your friends father perhaps papers or
a certificate with regards to provenance and you must keep the manual
and the catalogue as the complete authentic original historical package.

You have been shone upon

The father may be a local diving identity and would reveal a history which
perhaps the daughter, remaining family do not remember or did not know....

Never ever take it to a dive shop nor leave it anywhere for an appraisal

Outstanding find.

This total unit is pristine factory fresh and should be preserved - do not attempt to dive it or upgrade or in any way modify it
I would suggest that it be made available to very serious collectors- as a diving collectable

There are very few collectors on this board, but a number on Vintage Scuba Supply and Historical Diving society.
I would suggest that you place advertisements with both organizations.

The baked enamel was a economical method of SCUBA tank coating created during the time that John Culley was the US Diver sales manger in 1959-60 for the then mass market . It is certainly not a durable as galvanized be careful not to scratch it or in any way disturb the finish

In the event you are interested in selling the two ancillary pamphlets I would be interested- please PM me

Good luck !

Sam Miller, 111

Back
Top Bottom