Bonaire, Great Diving But...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello fellow Divers,

Just want to give you a heads up if you are headed to Bonaire. Besides a lot of great diving, there is also a lot of new construction going on. And unfortunately, with that there is a lot of construction noise close to some of the resorts. And apparently no set policy/enforcement regarding when construction times are allowed. So you may want to contact the resort you will be staying at & make sure this isn’t an issue.

Residing from the states, where there are strict policies regarding cigarette smoking in restaurants, you won’t find those here unfortunately. So if you would like to enjoy your meal or drinks somewhat free of second hand smoke, make sure you are up wind.

In closing, I have contacted the Bonaire Tourism, and expressed my opinions regarding these two factors.

Cheers, Happy & Safe Diving.

Hello Jay,

It is true there has been a lot of construction going on the last few years. Seems a bit too much sometimes, the island first needs some better infrastructure, roads, waste management, etc. I would say. Anyhow...

Im just wondering what you would expect? That workers only do construction between 10 am and 4 pm, during the hottest time of the day, when you are not at the hotel most of the time?

But a good advice to check where construction is going on and choose another place if necessary...

The smoking, I don.t think that law was taken over from the Dutch laws. But being outdoors indeed just choose a windward table :wink:

Hope you will return some time :)

In Cayman they will sometimes shut down the resort during the slow season and the heavy periods of construction. A few years ago we wanted to go to the Cayman Brac Beach Resort in the fall but they said that there were no rooms, and offered us space in the Little Cayman Beach Resort. We were happy to make the switch. Later we learned that they were shutting down CCBR for construction during the fall and we were glad that they had accomodated us elsewhere.

Resorts aren't always necessarily forthcoming about inconveniences to potential guests because it's not good for business. See other thread about a Cayman Brac understating the Sargassum issue. They could always say "oh sorry we didn't think the construction would be going on during those times something must have changed, enjoy your stay".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom