Real Time Blue Manta Review: Banda Sea 9 – 19 Sept 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The crew is awesome and as you’ve read there were some hiccups along with way thanks to nature but the crew rallied together to get things sorted as they could. Sure we lost the use of a tender, a couple of stools for the shower (which we sit on whilst our wetsuit is pulled off our legs), but ... cue the FirstWorldProblem hashtag!!

Net net an awesome experience

Yup, the crew is awesome. We had 20 divers and a crew of 22 in Komodo. Awesome ratio and they are all such nice guys. Can’t wait to get back on the boat in Raja Xmas 2020.

That’s pretty much what they (CD, DMs, & PJ, BM photographer) say.
Not completely correct. Over many seasons, we have seen large schools of hammerheads at about 37m depth with very good visibility. At other locations, a few come up to our safety stop, mostly curious. Ask PJ or Mimpi there are sometimes more exceptions than the rule.

We are done the last dive today & sailing to Ambon. Did 30 dives.

Looking back, my 1st attempt of crossing from Ambon to Raja Ampat via Banda Naira to see schooling hammerheads in late November, 2017 with La Galigo went through a bad storm as we sailed towards Banda Naira and had to skip it & turned back to Ceram for some engine repair then continued on to Raja Ampat. The diving in Raja Ampat made up the missing dives in Banda Sea. It was the best diving I have had in Raja Ampat.

This trip with Blue Manta in early September is my 2nd attempt to dive in Banda Sea (Ring of Fire). We finally got to see the schooling hammerheads, but the visibility was bad and the water was cold 73-77F (23-25C).

May be October would be a better time to dive in Banda Sea, as it’ll be spring time in Australia, which would bring a warmer, hopefully clearer water. So, @outofofficebrb I’m looking forward to your upcoming trip report of Ring of Fire trip on Mermaid I.

Dan, sometimes October is a wonderful time for a crossing trip. The water is a bit warmer, good visibility, and schools of hammerheads are common. Usually the schools are at about 35m+. That said, September can provide good visibility and schooling hammerheads. It seems that the
September weather was not fully cooperating with your desires. Let’s PM, we can talk about dive sites. Or hire me as your personal guide with your group :wink:

Hm...Maybe. I'm still licking my wounds with the new regulations on Batu Bolong (and sad). Komodo this year and next? :D I will be visiting Alor in a few weeks via the Banda crossing. Do you feel it's worth doing again? Any other place in Asia that I should also consider that time of year? Maybe muck diving? Oh, there's always Lembeh at NAD....Philippines might be hard as it's still typhoon season....
Liveboards don't really know where and how to dive Alor because they need to understand the currents and the spots. Having seen some of them at work from a resort boat (like for instance the Indosiren going backwards in the current, or another posh boat selecting the resort housereef as one of their few dives ), I wouldn't care diving Alor with a liveaboard.
It's one of the few places in Asia where you can spot hammerheads and rhinopias on the same day. But you'll need to dive from a resort with guides in the know.
I looked at SB member Ocdiver's facebook page yesterday, he's currently diving Alor : he had a wall of hammerheads, pilot whales and molamola all in clear water. not too bad for a weekday.

Luko! Get Ocdiver to post here!

Not completely correct. Over many seasons, we have seen large schools of hammerheads at about 37m depth with very good visibility. At other locations, a few come up to our safety stop, mostly curious. Ask PJ or Mimpi there are sometimes more exceptions than the rule.
Hi Charlier,
Was this during the Sep-Oct period or April? Thanks!

Liveboards don't really know where and how to dive Alor because you really need to understand the currents and the spots. Having seen some of them at work from a resort boat (like for instance the Indosiren going backwards in the current, or another posh boat selecting the resort housereef as one of their few dives ), I wouldn't care diving Alor with a liveaboard.

I had the exact same experience in Blue Magic(!) right in the middle of Dampier Straight in Raja Ampat. We were diving with a home stay - these guys dive the same region practically every single day year in and year out so they can find the spots with closed eyes. A poss-looking liveaboard was near by, but the dinghies obviously couldn't find the pinnacle. Once we arrived they were trying to follow us. Our crew made fun of them moving here and there for a while. Too bad we couldn't see the name of the LoB...

Back
Top Bottom