2nd hand Faber assessment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
An old family friend of mine wishes to sell his Faber 15L.

It's an older cylonder; it's last visual and hydro test was conducted in 2007 and has not been used since. But it is in superb condition and has only ever been used in fresh water.

I will also replace it with a simple Apeks valve; I won't use the one attached.

I will take it in for a full visual and hydro inspection once I receive it but would it be considered a safe buy?
IMG-20190918-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20190918-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20190918-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20190918-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20190918-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20190918-WA0001.jpg

If it is clean inside, passes inspection, and for a good price I would buy it. But take into account the cost for the requalification and new valve. For instance in the states I would pay around $100 for a similar cylinder figuring that I am going to spend $35 for the requalification and another $65 for a valve. So my total cost is about $200 or 2/3 of new.

Curious. What are the Hydro/VIS requirements in SA?

If it is clean inside, passes inspection, and for a good price I would buy it. But take into account the cost for the requalification and new valve. For instance in the states I would pay around $100 for a similar cylinder figuring that I am going to spend $35 for the requalification and another $65 for a valve. So my total cost is about $200 or 2/3 of new.
Yeah in total this will amount to the same. The seller took it in for a hydro and it padded with flying colours. So it's a good deal indeed. I'll just kit it out with a valve of my choosing and it still works out cheaper than most other 15L cylinder 2nd hand offers nowadays

A hydro must be done every 4 years and a visual annually. Is it the same for you guys?

I’m originally one of YOU guys. In the USA, Hydro every 5 years and VIS annually.

A hydro must be done every 4 years and a visual annually. Is it the same for you guys?
I wish it was the same in Australia!
Here in the Nanny State it is a hydro and visual EVERY year... o_O

Mate this is the lucky country, and we don't have a visual
it's a hydro incorporating a looking at the tank inspection

Yearly, doesn't even let the water they leave in the tank evaporate and the rust to dry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom