Please help a newby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BP/W is a great suggestion as they are about as customizable as you'd ever want. Otherwise, I'd recommend a Zeagle Brigade (ScubaToys.com) or a Zeagle Stiletto. Reason being, they're a modular system with each part available in different sizes so you can really get a customized fit for you, as opposed to something general off the shelf. The downside is that it's best to go into a shop to "build" one and see what sizes work. Both of them are back inflate systems with trim relocatable trim pockets on the lower tank cam band. I mention that because you can relocate the trim pockets to the top band and add some weight there, which will help keep you a little more vertical on the surface. Plus keeping a considerable amount of weight in trim pocket near the tank centralizes that weight along your spine and helps you maintain a more horizontal trim position below the surface. That's where back inflate BC's shine. I currently dive a Zeagle Brigade and I actually added a 2nd set of trim pockets so I have them on both tank cam bands and that's where I put the bulk of my weight, which helps me keep that nice horizontal profile in the water column. I will soon be building a BP/W as soon as I figure out exactly what it is I want and for what purpose. For me likely something I can setup for doubles and sling sidemounts also. Just need to figure out what will work best for my intended uses.

...I love it in the water but on the surface I'm constantly finning to stay upright. If I lost consciousness I'd be a goner.

A BCD is not a personal flotation device. It is not designed to keep your head above water or orient in a face up position when unconscious. Hence all the warnings that come with one. DO NOT think of it that way.

BP/W is a great suggestion as they are about as customizable as you'd ever want. Otherwise, I'd recommend a Zeagle Brigade (ScubaToys.com) or a Zeagle Stiletto. Reason being, they're a modular system with each part available in different sizes so you can really get a customized fit for you, as opposed to something general off the shelf. The downside is that it's best to go into a shop to "build" one and see what sizes work. Both of them are back inflate systems with trim relocatable trim pockets on the lower tank cam band. I mention that because you can relocate the trim pockets to the top band and add some weight there, which will help keep you a little more vertical on the surface. Plus keeping a considerable amount of weight in trim pocket near the tank centralizes that weight along your spine and helps you maintain a more horizontal trim position below the surface. That's where back inflate BC's shine. I currently dive a Zeagle Brigade and I actually added a 2nd set of trim pockets so I have them on both tank cam bands and that's where I put the bulk of my weight, which helps me keep that nice horizontal profile in the water column. I will soon be building a BP/W as soon as I figure out exactly what it is I want and for what purpose. For me likely something I can setup for doubles and sling sidemounts also. Just need to figure out what will work best for my intended uses.
How about the zeagle covert?

BP/W's are wonderful to dive, but I wouldn't suggest one for frequent air travel.
I find my bp/w easier to travel with than any other bc I've used. I do pull the wing off the plate when I travel, but I can easily get it, two reg sets, a 13 cu ft pony tank, and essentially all my dive gear but my fins in a carry on.

How about the zeagle covert?
The covert looks like it's probably a great travel BC for sure. Two things about I see that I don't really care for, though. First and foremost, it doesn't utilize the personal fit system I mentioned where you can replace parts (shoulders, wing, cumberbund, etc.) to customize the fit to your body. Not only is that great for fitting purposes, but also good for longevity because say after a few years you wear the shoulders out, you just replace that part of the BC which might be $100 rather than buying an entire new system. Secondly it utilizes plastic D-rings as opposed to the stainless ones that come on the Stiletto, Ranger, etc. The Stiletto is basically a Ranger harness with a smaller 35# wing as opposed to the larger 45# wing that comes on the Ranger. All the rest of the features are there. It's obviously a bit more spendy than the Covert XT but for good reason. But if you're looking for one to start with that isn't terribly expensive then yes the Covert would seem to fit that bill if one of the standard sizes fits you well.

If you do end up going with one of the Zeagle offerings, allow me to suggest something that will make your diving experience a little more enjoyable. And I'm sure it works with probably all of their systems. Split crotch strap. Rather than a 2" single strap going between your legs like on the typical BP/W setup, it attaches to the rear of the BC and then splits into single 1" straps that go on each side and attach to clips on the front. You can cinch them down as tight as you like and then after snugging up the shoulder straps, no more worries about the BC riding up and floating around your ears like on the typical jacket style. Just something to consider.

I live in an area that isn't really near any ideal diving conditions (DMV area) and I found multiple places that I could dive and try stuff out. Even if shops don't let you try any gear, try to find local dive clubs. Although I did try out a BP/W setup in a pool from a shop, I also found people on these boards who have a meetup group and I went to a pool with them to test out my gear after I bought it. But they also offered to let me try out every piece of their gear if I wanted to. From my short time in this hobby, everyone I've met so far is super supportive and has been open to letting people try gear. I mean in the end, people want other people to like diving, and no better way to do it than share gear to new people to let them experience different things.

That said, I just got back from my first real dives in the ocean with my own gear and it was fantastic! I only had 2 post-certification dives under my belt after I bought all of my gear, and after trying out a BP/W setup, within about 10 seconds I knew I was buying one.

To make a long story short, the freedom I felt on these dives the past weekend was incredible and you simply can't get that from wearing a jacket style BCD.

And I understand what people mean when they say a BP/W pushes your face forward at the surface, but it's WAY overblown about how much it does that. Within about 2 seconds you will understand how to adjust your body and lean back to float. It is a non issue.

I find my bp/w easier to travel with than any other bc I've used. I do pull the wing off the plate when I travel, but I can easily get it, two reg sets, a 13 cu ft pony tank, and essentially all my dive gear but my fins in a carry on.
I use an aluminium plate and I have no issues with travelling with a bp/w.

It can be separated into parts which can be easily stored in luggage. I can even put the plate in my cabin luggage to save weight.

Back
Top Bottom