Dive boat accident involving Dive tech and Cathy Church boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmm... just doesn't feel right as it was clearly GROSS negligence ... Not that I wanted jail time, but she should at least be required to publicly explain exactly what happened and pay a big fine. Divetech should be reimbursed not only to repair or replace the boat, but also for any lost revenue (including any hit to their growth plans) as well!

Hmmmm... just doesn't feel right as it was clearly GROSS negligence ...

I respectfully disagree. Had she not hit the Divetech boat, she would have plowed through a field of about 30 cruise ship snorkelers from Cayman Diving, and surely killed several and injured many more. Would your opinion be different had that happened? What if one of your family members was one of these snorkelers?

Why is she still allowed to operate a commercial boat is the big question for me . A danger to anyone in the water when someone this incompetent is driving or not driving the boat. Keep her off the water for god sake..

I respectfully disagree. Had she not hit the Divetech boat, she would have plowed through a field of about 30 cruise ship snorkelers from Cayman Diving, and surely killed several and injured many more. Would your opinion be different had that happened? What if one of your family members was one of these snorkelers?
Not sure what you are talking about??? I very clearly said the decision to drop charges and only warn does NOT seem right!!!

I think she is no longer on the island or at least currently so I am no sure where she is operating a commercial dive boat. I also disagree with the concept that she should be allowed to operate a non commercial vessel if she is incompetent. If she is no longer capable she not be operating anything perhaps even on land. But rather than speculating, it might be best to wait and see if indeed she will still be operating a boat or indeed all parties have not been made whole. Perhaps the charges were lessened with a plea deal with certain contingencies factored in. I am not sure if plea deals are usual here but know that are a very solid part of the system in the US. The newspaper article went into no detail (perhaps it is not public record), but until the facts are known, there is no point in making up scenarios. Many are grateful that tragedy was averted and consider that a blessing.

Has anyone been able to find out why there was no attention being paid in the first place?

There were two people on that boat. Why were neither one of them paying attention?

Often the one driving is making coffee while the one not driving is not driving. That happens a lot here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom