Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah you did. Sorry for poor reading comprehension. My dog had surgery and was up a lot last night. Work was a real drag today.

I know the dang pain - I live in paradise and ain't been in the water in three weeks.... house remodel that I would not recommend to anyone, not even you cave divers LOL

Hope the dog is well

I'm sorry to be brutally honest with you here but just maybe you should look in the mirror - it seems you're one of the ones all bent out of shape because of a dive video showing people kneeling

Some have tried to explain the scope of the class but it seems anything outside of perfect form makes others a lesser diver, whether it be the form the diver shows, how the divers rig is situated or the gas he chooses to breathe.

I'm not going to go back and search for it - but somewhere 100 pages ago in talking about CO2 - someone said something about it being OK to grab a hold of a rock if you felt winded. I made a smart assed comment about it that you should come down here and learn drift diving cause you shouldn't have to grab onto things but that's all it was. Here - you touch nothing period - in a cave that you can touch stuff, heck I'm sure it's fine to sit on rocks or whatever..... It's the time and the place - either grabbing a rock is just as bad as kneeling in that situation or they're both OK - you can't have it both ways.

Instead of belittling folks - you may just get a little farther with people by adjusting your tone. You may not agree with the reasoning, the actions or methods - that's perfect, it's a big world, lot's of water and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Edit.... never mind. This is a pointless effort in futility. You obviously are ok with what I would consider the allowance of exceptionally poor quality skills in a technical course. Nothings going to change, so it’s not worth the discussion anymore.

The level of poor skills chatterton allows in his class is ridiculous. It just goes along with a degradation in technical training that we’ve seen more and more of. We being those I dive with.

You know, leaving aside the larger issues of the thread, this is one point you might want to reconsider.

If anything, JC's methods reflect the "golden years" of Atlantic wreck diving, in the early 90s. At that time, technical training was much less organized than it is today, with more informal mentoring and with less concern about form, trim and the agency-driven certification hierarchy that we now have.

You know, leaving aside the larger issues of the thread, this is one point you might want to reconsider.

If anything, JC's methods reflect the "golden years" of Atlantic wreck diving, in the early 90s. At that time, technical training was much less organized than it is today, with more informal mentoring and with less concern about form, trim and the agency-driven certification hierarchy that we now have.

Times change. There is an expected basic level of student competency that should go through all courses. He’s not out diving for fun. He’s teaching people. My original point pages ago is that students should be held to a higher standard than is demonstrated in the video (and some other videos). Once they’re out fo the class if they want to kneel, then it’s on them.

But again I edited my post because this thread is becoming pointless. The two camps will have to agree to disagree.

Yeah, I just meant that whatever issues you have with his style, it’s not because modern standards are getting lax. I think that he has been doing what he does since the early days.

Yeah, I just meant that whatever issues you have with his style, it’s not because modern standards are getting lax. I think that he has been doing what he does since the early days.

Got you. I misunderstood and agree. What I meant is that seeing that type of class is frustrating more so because my circle of friends and I are seeing an influx of poor instruction in our diving community.

I know the dang pain - I live in paradise and ain't been in the water in three weeks.... house remodel that I would not recommend to anyone, not even you cave divers LOL

Hope the dog is well
Your house remodel is probably a lot more extensive than me getting the baby room ready (future diver arrives in November).

Unfortunately, the dog is having a rough time and managing his pain is difficult.

Not a cave diver, yet. Need to be before I move to Greece and open a dive op. Lots of caves all over. Not like Florida or Mexico, but some fun stuff,

Well team (@rjack321, @cerich, @wetb4igetinthewater, @doctormike, @CptTightPants21m, @rddvet, @ChuckP) I learn't alot more in pp. 43...45 then I did in the first 40 pages of rant about knees, trim and stage bottles. I'm yet to make it to pp. 46...49 but its late in OZ. time for bed.... I'll take a free class with anyone in Nov/Dec 2020 when over their and do a compare and contrast video session with a Chatterton course. I hope he is still certified with an Agency. Yeah right like he or I would care. I need to get a bit of experience under my belt first, do you guys think you have had any influence at all on the way Chatterton will teach going forward, I suspect not.

Well team (@rjack321, @cerich, @wetb4igetinthewater, @doctormike, @CptTightPants21m, @rddvet, @ChuckP) I do you guys think you have had any influence at all on the way Chatterton will teach going forward, I suspect not.

I don't think he probably even knows about this thread or cares. None of us expect to have any influence on how he teaches. My suspicion is he's like the couple of "legends" we have here that are getting names as bad instructors-even if you express your concerns to their face they won't care.
I don't even care if it effects people choosing to take his course. I'm more bothered that what I don't agree with still happens every day, and that people have no issue with it.

a series of cool pics brought to you by great photography and skills in trim and buoyancy in wrecks that some feel is not useful in wreck diving

Audrey Cudel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom