BCD choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calvin Shia

Registered
Reaction score
I am planing to buy my first BCD and am looking at three options: Mares Pure SLS, Zeagle Covert XT and Zeagle Scout

They are all travel BCDs and are light weight and easy to pack as I dive mostly during travel

So far from my research I can summarize these pros and cons for the three of them

Mares Pure:
Pros:

-Cheapest of all three (~$300)
-Integrated weight system
-Nice details (Bented D ring, built in whistles, handle etc.)
Cons:
-Only one built in pocket
-Not as good materiel (420 compare to 1000D fabric from Zeagle)

Zeagle Covert XT:
Pros:

-Integrated weight system
-Highly customizable (MOLLE sytem)
-Made in USA
-Lightest of all three
-Good materials (Elastic bladder, 1000D Nylon)
-Zeagle BCD known for bulletproof
-Good review in term of comfort
Cons:
-Expensive (~$450)

Zeagle Scout:
Pros:

-Basically like Covert XT with less feature and cheaper price tag (~$350)
Cons:
-No integrated weight (which is a big con as I hate to wear weight belt)

Overall I would go for the Covert XT if not for the more expensive price tag, and Mares Pure and Scout do offer very good value with their price. Can anyone give me advice on the choice? Particular in term of longevity, versatility and actual experience. And I will most likely stay recreational for the next couple of years.

Thanks in advance

I was also considering these, especially the Covert XT, and ended up buying the Aqualung Rogue in the end. It is back inflate and can be taken apart piece by piece for traveling. Very happy with my decision, worth adding it to your list in my opinion...

Mares makes a good tough product, most all my gear is Mares. I have a Mares Dragonfly that I have had for over 18 years and it is still going strong. That being said, they are big, bulky BC's and the Pure SLS weight nearly 9 lbs. and has 40lbs of lift, which is way more than you need. don't have any experience with the other 2. For a travel BC I would recommend you take a look at this package from Dive Gear Express. You can pick wing size & color, weight pocket, harness type and it weights less than 6 lbs. DGX Custom - OMS IQ Lite Backpack Singles Package | Dive Gear Express®

+1 for the Aqualung Rogue. I bought two of them, for my boys. So far the boys have dove in the chilly lake quarries nearby.

I don't think the Zeagle Covert XT has pockets other than the weight pockets.

Since you listed as a "con" that one of the other BCDs only had one accessory pocket that might be something you need to check on.

My rear inflate BCD also has only one accessory pocket. Someone told me why back inflate BCDs rarely come with 2 I forget the reason but it doesn't make sense that a pocket could be put on one side and not the other.

I'd much rather have 2.

I became a nihilist about BCDs. If you are very expert you can buy second hand, but then you wouldn’t be asking here. If you are not expert IMHO there are 2 options:
Brand new jacket BCD: the cheapest you find
Brand new wing BCD: the cheapest you find
Before you purchase make sure you try it and you feel comfortable with it, and you are done

Do get a back inflate.

+ for back inflate.....Personally I have a ScubaPro Knighthawk and it has performed as advertised. I don't think you can go wrong with a Mares or Zeagle bcd. Go to a few local dive shops and try a few different models on. Ask for a discount. It doesn't cost anything to ask and if you don't ask you don't receive. Get one that fits right for you. Or try and rent a similar model to test it out. I'd only consider the used BCD route if I knew the source. I wouldn't buy used or new online.

I'd only consider the used BCD route if I knew the source. I wouldn't buy used or new online.
Used BCDs are a good bargain only if the buyer really knows how to check their condition, no matter who you buy from. Online used is risky. Online new is fine. I speak for the European Union, but I guess in the US it’s the same, all products must be safe to get the CE certification and be put on the market. It’s very unlikely they are dangerous, and for sure buying a second hand BCD of a ‘good brand’ is more risky than buying a new BCD of a totally unknown brand but with CE certification. The only problem is you don’t know ‘the feeling’ you have with the BCD. So if you buy a brand/model you already know there is no surprise. While if you buy online a BCD you never tried in person you don’t know if you really feel ‘it fits’ until you try it. It’s true anyway that Amazon and other online retailers allow the customers to return the product, but mostly only if it hasn’t been used in the water

I repaired a friends BC today

full.jpg

"We shall see!" I said to his wife

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom