Sidemount 2 doubles sets (4 cylinders total)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4-5 Al80 tanks - is maximum for Sidemount dive with wetsuit up to 130 ft !!!

One Al80 has 80cu.ft of air. Weight of the air is around 0.074887 lbs per cu.ft. Total weight of the air in tank around 5.8 lb. In real used not more than 5 lbs of air.
So - between start of the dive and the end you can have weight difference of 5*4=20 lbs!
biggest SM wings have around 40 lbs lift capasity.
So - reminder is 20lbs...

Remember this thread Wetsuit buoyancy: Loss in depth - how big should be BCD
I count there weight loss for 9mm suit, and for 7mm wetsuit it will be around 17 lbs.
If we have dive from surface to 130 ft with 7mm wetsuit - we have bouyancy loss of 17 lbs.
so - 20+17 = 37 lbs - it is minimal lift capacity of SM wing for the four tanks. And safety margin here is around 3 lbs (e.g. for XDeep Stealth with 40 lbs lift cap.) - it is nothing...

So - not ten, not eight - not more than four Al80 is usable for SM diving with wetsuit. :)
When that wing fails for any reason? Then what?

When that wing fails for any reason? Then what?
as common.
Recreational - drop the weights or weights and some tanks (when it full at start), and ascend.
Technical - you MUST have secondary bouyoant system. :)

above I just bring here gradient requirements.
More than four tanks or depth more than 40m, or wetsuit thickness over 7mm, or wing lift capacity less 40lbs - unsafe by default. Just at the surface, before you even think to go in the water.

You can limit one of the conditions (two tanks, or 3mm suit, or 60lbs lift cap., or 20m bottom layer) and only than you can change other..

4-5 Al80 tanks - is maximum for Sidemount dive with wetsuit up to 130 ft !!!

One Al80 has 80cu.ft of air. Weight of the air is around 0.074887 lbs per cu.ft. Total weight of the air in tank around 5.8 lb. In real used not more than 5 lbs of air.
So - between start of the dive and the end you can have weight difference of 5*4=20 lbs!
biggest SM wings have around 40 lbs lift capasity.
So - reminder is 20lbs...

Remember this thread Wetsuit buoyancy: Loss in depth - how big should be BCD
I count there weight loss for 9mm suit, and for 7mm wetsuit it will be around 17 lbs.
If we have dive from surface to 130 ft with 7mm wetsuit - we have bouyancy loss of 17 lbs.
so - 20+17 = 37 lbs - it is minimal lift capacity of SM wing for the four tanks. And safety margin here is around 3 lbs (e.g. for XDeep Stealth with 40 lbs lift cap.) - it is nothing...

So - not ten, not eight - not more than four Al80 is usable for SM diving with wetsuit. :)
Yeah, I’d use a drysuit for four or more tanks.

I have a project where I doubt I'll have time to get on a rebreather (baby due in November, can't see myself diving a whole lot after my daughter is born). Depths will be 55 to 60 meters. I have no issue with 4 cylinders in sidemount, but would like to be proficient with 6. I will probably have to cut my dive time, as I doubt I'll have time to practice with 6. Why not backmount? Not available, and not practical for fills.
What do you mean backmount is not available?
You live in Seattle youre literally not even 3 hrs away from me large backmount cylinders are everywhere. Seattle also has a fairly large GUE presence and last I checked they don’t dive SM..........
Not practical for fills? Your local shop limits fills to 80ft3 cylinders?
I’ve never dive backmount doubles I went from single tank to sidemount but I haven’t bought into the sidemount cult of its the only way to dive.
Backmount doubles make a lot of sense in a lot of applications.
Curious on your response for why it’s easier to sling that many tanks SM over large BM cylinders and a few stages and how large cylinders are not available and not practical for fills.
* I ordered a 149 steel cylinder(when I first got into diving) from California shipped to Canada for $10 shipping...... so availability doesn’t really fly
Not trying to start a fight or anything just curious if you honestly believe that or just jumped head first into the SM cult mentality

What do you mean backmount is not available?
You live in Seattle youre literally not even 3 hrs away from me large backmount cylinders are everywhere. Seattle also has a fairly large GUE presence and last I checked they don’t dive SM..........
Not practical for fills? Your local shop limits fills to 80ft3 cylinders?
I’ve never dive backmount doubles I went from single tank to sidemount but I haven’t bought into the sidemount cult of its the only way to dive.
Backmount doubles make a lot of sense in a lot of applications.
Curious on your response for why it’s easier to sling that many tanks SM over large BM cylinders and a few stages and how large cylinders are not available and not practical for fills.
* I ordered a 149 steel cylinder(when I first got into diving) from California shipped to Canada for $10 shipping...... so availability doesn’t really fly
Not trying to start a fight or anything just curious if you honestly believe that or just jumped head first into the SM cult mentality
I do honestly believe that. But this isn't in the Puget Sound. This is in Greece. Hopefully I can talk about this project soon.

I love his videos. If you read more about him and listen to him on the Speaking Sidemount podcast you will hear him say he just likes to see what can be done in Sidemount. He likes to push himself and the configuration. I love respect his testing and experiments even though he knows it is not practical to dive this way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom