AOW Complete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@HKGuns
(aka HK bang- bang !)

Oh the horror ! The Absolute HORROR !
I view smiling diver who has just completed a diving milestone...
And has a
big yellow, extremely expensive, very sharp KNIFE
attached to the Out Side of his LEG !
( aka kelp snags ville !)

Oh the horror ! The Absolute HORROR !

Never less a BIG Congratulations for your most recent diving accomplishments
don't stop! a good diver is continually learning ...and learning, and learning ….

I also reside on the California central coast,
perhaps some day our "knives will cross"

Cheers
Sam Miller, 111

How did I know the knife would draw some comments? :)

I wore it on exactly ONE dive and that seemed the most reasonable place to mount. I am 100% open to mounting it elsewhere, but haven't thought it through very thoroughly.

(I went through an airplane with the instructor and it did not snag.) My much larger sized dive buddy snagged his Yoke valve on the exit of the airplane door.

The bigger your knife and the more conspicuously placed it is, the better diver you are. I thought everyone knew that. :)

Congratulations on your achievement!

@HKGuns
(aka HK bang- bang !)

@Scuba Lawyer
Is one of the most knowledgeable best trained experienced diver on this board!
You should emulate him-- but only when you have more experience and knowledge !
Then you can carry and display a junior size machete on your hip
(As we both do...)

HKGuns ~~~ You are now and will be one who has the capability to make a round trip - submerge and resurface with out too much difficulty - you are currently one who dives ..
Some how some way we are going to make you a California diver
~~ There is a difference ! ~~~

Sam Miller, 111

Completed AOW today. Everything went well and my buoyancy is starting to become second nature.

I chose the following 5 dives:

- Peak Performance Buoyancy
- Navigation
- Night
- Deep
- Wreck

I did a 6th dive of an hour to practice my Buoyancy and we discovered I needed to shed 4 pounds.

Now I am at 14# in a Hollis 8mm semi- dry with boots gloves and hood using an HP80.

Going to do Nitrox next, followed by Dry suit.

(Yes, I took the knife with me on my last dive of the day to see if I would notice it on my leg. I forgot it was there until after I emerged from the water.)

View attachment 540436
Congratulations but I think you should see a doctor . I’ve never seen a next seal do that to someone’s head

The bigger your knife and the more conspicuously placed it is, the better diver you are. I thought everyone knew that. :)

Congratulations on your achievement!
I always strap it to the inside of the leg, but occasionally it still snags kelp or seaweed. Elsewhere is a better idea, I'm just too lazy. If I don't have my integrated weights in, I put it in the BC pocket and attach it as well with line to a D ring just in case it pops out.

Just to let you know, you’ll get better photos if you position the sun behind the camera :p
Congrats !

Just to clarify the first post for other readers who might pursue PADI AOW- You don't choose 5 electives as stated in the Op. 2 are required- Navigation and Deep. The other 3 are chosen but sometimes not all the courses are available due to limitations where the course is taken. For example if it's done at an inland site, there can't be boat or current diving. If it's done in a lifeless rocky quarry, you're not doing Fish ID. If it's done in a country during a season where daylight is 24 hours long, there can't be night diving because it never gets dark.

@HKGuns
(aka HK bang- bang !)
Never less a BIG Congratulations for your most recent diving accomplishments
don't stop! a good diver is continually learning ...and learning, and learning ….

I also reside on the California central coast,
perhaps some day our "knives will cross"

Cheers
Sam Miller, 111
Thank-you.

Ok, I have to ask a Scuba Legend what makes California divers so special?

Back
Top Bottom