Wanted Recreational Scuba Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Want to buy a recreational scuba setup for my girlfriend including regs, hoses, tank, buoyancy, spg, etc... We are in Atlanta, GA but travel often to North Florida. Thanks!

What is your projected budget?

I priced out a brand new Dive Rite Backplate / Wing / Regs / LP85 setup at around $1600 and there is an el cheapo setup one can get (https://www.divers-supply.com) with an AL80 for $600. So if we can get a used pro setup for somewhere closer to the el cheapy price we will probably jump.

Deep6 gear is based in Georgia, an excellent company with great products, super prices and unheard of support......definitely worth checking out.

I priced out a brand new Dive Rite Backplate / Wing / Regs / LP85 setup at around $1600 and there is an el cheapo setup one can get (https://www.divers-supply.com) with an AL80 for $600. So if we can get a used pro setup for somewhere closer to the el cheapy price we will probably jump.
My son and I both ordered the Divers Supply cheapest package, and upgraded to the balanced Covert regulator and 3 guage (compass) console. I got upgraded to the Edge Element BCD because they were out of my size in the SeaElite Scout BCD -- I confirmed the BCDs are identical (made from same pattern) except the Edge has a couple more metal D-rings and has a metal tank cam buckel (which you can buy for $20 on their website if you want to switch for the Scout's velcro strap, but the velcro works fine).

We've had 24 dives (18 Caribbean, 6 quarry) on this kit so far and we've been very pleased with the quality of both BCDs, and we've also been very happy with our regulators. While I'm sure a connoisseur might want different equipment, I could not be happier and have nothing I'm wanting to upgrade yet. If you're in Atlanta, you could take a look at these at the Divers Supply store in Marietta.

Because of your location I would second Divers Supply in marietta. I moved to Marietta for a year and ended up doing a ton of diving in warmer waters than I’m used to, mostly Panama City, so my steel plate was a little overkill. Got a great deal on aluminum backplate and harness from them in store.

I will probably get her the Diver’s Supply setup if I don’t find something better used.

Divers Supply tends to have really good pricing on Hog stuff, but all in all it’s an awesome shop to have in your backyard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom