Mk 25 honking/ howling noise from 1st stage help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most likely the piston shaft or piston head o-rings are damaged. The shaft o-ring can easily get damaged if a piston bullet is not used when the piston is installed.
MK25 piston head and shaft o-rings.PNG

Yes I did submerge it the air was coming out of the ambient chamber holes as suspected. I checked the ip and it was right at 125psi and locked up tight. However I was starting to do the tear down and I noticed that the chamber body was very loose. So loose in fact that I was able to get almost 4 full turns on it. I thought this might have contributed to the issue but it did not fix it. So I repacked the the two O-rings in the pack and it did not fix the issue. I am starting to lean toward the high pressure oring as the possible culprit.

Attachments

• MK20-MK25RepairGuide.pdf
    763.2 KB · Views: 324
  • MK25 AF rev D-V5.pdf
    426 KB · Views: 384
Scubapro piston regs have had a tendency to honk at least since I bought my first Mk10 back in 1988.
If it honks - it's a Scubapro.
But, the damn things always work, which is usually more important than the stealth qualities of the reg.
Fortunately, the 9 Mk20s that I have don't honk.

Michael

My MK-17 never honked.... :poke:

@couv you hit the nail on the head it was indeed the piston shaft oring. A big thanks to you and everyone else for all of the pointers and help.

@couv - where did you get that colored image?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom