Calm-headed response

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i used lime green fins with L and R marked on them, then wore the R on my left foot and L on my right, along with a bright lime green wetsuit, my divers knew what I looked like

Much easier to identify underwater, and less likely to have an issue with entanglements, etc.

He was calm, and very clear with this signaling, so everyone knew the plan. This was a great example of what to do.

Finding an alternate air source and bolting to the surface has always been ingrained during open water training.

That has not always been true. The faster one can get certified, the fewer options one can be taught and practiced for use in an emergency.

Bob

The faster one can get certified, the fewer options one can be taught and practiced for use in an emergency. Bob

That's what I had in mind as I was watching the video : one needs to be taught the right thing to do then practice, practice, practice. Anxiety is rooted in the conscious (or unconscious) lack of confidence of being able to do the right thing in a stressful situation, hence the need to be taught the right procedure and practice.

I am very green and because of that, I regularly take my mask off during my quarry dives to practice. I am having fun adding a bit more difficulties as I go (put it back on with only one hand, keeping trim and buoyancy, doing it within 3 feet, etc). I am looking forward to take the rescue class to get confronted with difficult situations to test myself and learn.

That's what I had in mind as I was watching the video : one needs to be taught the right thing to do then practice, practice, practice. Anxiety is rooted in the conscious (or unconscious) lack of confidence of being able to do the right thing in a stressful situation, hence the need to be taught the right procedure and practice.

I am very green and because of that, I regularly take my mask off during my quarry dives to practice. I am having fun adding a bit more difficulties as I go (put it back on with only one hand, keeping trim and buoyancy, doing it within 3 feet, etc). I am looking forward to take the rescue class to get confronted with difficult situations to test myself and learn.

Rescue is a fun and valuable class for that reason. Learning how to bring someone up if needed is important, not something you want to learn on the fly when you're bringing someone up for the first time during an actual rescue.

Finding an alternate air source and bolting to the surface has always been ingrained during open water training.
I was taught the former, but definitely not the latter. Yes, find an alternate gas source, preferably ASAP. No, don't bolt to the surface unless you really, really need to.

If you have gas, you have ample time to resolve the issue. Or at least make a controlled ascent.

Nice response by the DM. Particularly the 'everyone chill' signals.

The air share reenforces my preference for a bit longer hose. I've done 'at some point you will declare OOA' shares with my buddy's normal length octo, with us almost shoulder to shoulder looking almost behind each other, vs. with my long hose, with us floating a few feet apart, free from each other, able to see each other and the environment. Far prefer the later.

Nice response by the DM. Particularly the 'everyone chill' signals.

The air share reenforces my preference for a bit longer hose. I've done 'at some point you will declare OOA' shares with my buddy's normal length octo, with us almost shoulder to shoulder, and with my long hose, with us floating a few feet apart, free from each other, able to see each other and the environment. Far prefer the later.

I've only recently started training where we are doing air share drills with a 7' hose and I cannot believe how much easier it is than with a standard setup. I always assumed it would be somewhat easier (more hose = more space) but going from 40" to 7' is worlds different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom