Unanticipated hazards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@AustinV - the dive trip was in the Philippines (have you had your coffee yet?! :wink:) - also made me wonder how in the world the guy got on the boat without proof of certification?

Those of you who dive the Philippines, do they require you show cert cards and ask when your last dive was?
I had to show mine when I dove there.

I'm strongly against violence to solve issues.

However, if someone were to pull a 'prank' like that on me, I'd seriously consider abandoning my principles. At least he'd get a chewing out which would last from we surfaced until we were done unloading the boat at shore.

@AustinV - the dive trip was in the Philippines (have you had your coffee yet?! :wink:) - also made me wonder how in the world the guy got on the boat without proof of certification?

Those of you who dive the Philippines, do they require you show cert cards and ask when your last dive was?

A reputable shop and liveaboard, yes. All of them asked me.

@Ojai Diver
posted
"When I was fifteen, uncertified, and taking a scuba PE class, some of us students--including me-- thought that it was the height of hilarity to shut of somebody's air at the bottom of the pool. Usually you did this to a friend, who then paid you back in kind.

Not very smart, but at least it wasn't 30 meters deep. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are many early training exercise that have gone by the wayside -- too hazardous or too difficult for the modern diver to master in the current very abbreviated SCUBA courses.

One was the out of air exercise. Air was tuned off - the student reached around and turned it on or removed the tank & regulator unit and turned on the air, then replaced the tank & regulator unit and continued diving.

It was a time when in instruction was the impact of an idea and practice, practice and practice until mastered as compared to the modern instruction of avoidance

Your PE dive class was during a different time with different dive training rules and regulations. You should be internally grateful to your instructor who allowed you to perfect the basics under controlled conditions in swimming pool such as out of air with practice, practice and practice .

However, the current turning off of the air by the Chinese diver borders on criminal negligence.. I strongly suspect the divers were not trained or prepared for such an event and was potentaly extremly dangerous for all in the immediate area.

Yes there should be an investigation

SDM

I had a buddy roll his valve off in a cave and then blamed me. I was in front, so it was impossible for me to do that. I gave him my long hose and we swam out. On the surface, he figured out his air had rolled off, but as I said: he thought I had done it to him. He was mad as hell and as much as I reasoned with him, he was implacable. I left before he started swinging and have never heard from or about him again.

They did for me!

'm strongly against violence to solve issues.

However, if someone were to pull a 'prank' like that on me, I'd seriously consider abandoning my principles. At least he'd get a chewing out which would last from we surfaced until we were done unloading the boat at shore.

The ONLY person that has ever touched my life support was my instructor during training. We discussed the skill and I knew it would happen,

Touch my life support in the wild and all bets are off!

Yikes. Definitely not funny.
This reminds me to practice the tank-tilt thing now and then, reaching behind with left hand to tank bottom, lift it up and tilt the tank bottom to the left, therefore valve moves up and to the right. Reach up with right hand, you should (make that damn well bettah) be able to reach the valve post and turn it on if it's off, or if it's not completely open.

Did I say that right?? Practice makes perfect, non-practice makes panic...

Also practice not diving with yahoos with twisted sense of humor ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom