New Species discovered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lionfish-eater

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Scientists discover a new species of echinoderm, similar to a starfish, in Cozumel
September 15, 2019

190905-aca2-des-f1-ophionereis-commutabilis-1100x570.jpg

Científicos descubren una nueva especie de equinodermo, similar a una estrella de mar, en Cozumel

Brittle star (ophiuroid). Pretty cool critters if you ask me

This post really led me to ask a subsequent question, what is the scientific threashold for declaring a new species? I did a quick google and can see the criteria for uniqueness but it did not mention number of specimens that must be found. How do you differentiate between a new species and a single mutation?

This new species is included in my new book, Natural History of Cozumel. They determined whether or not it is a new species and where it fits on the "tree" by DNA analysis in this instance. it is unique to Cozumel, indeed, unique to Aereolito. There is also another echinoderm that is only found in Aereolito cenote that I also included in the book.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S105579031830575X

unique to Aereolito
Where is Aereolito? One site puts it under the golf course which is up north, while another says it's the cenote by the driveway to the southern marina, and Trip Advisor puts in downtown at Calle 1 & Melgar.

One map shows the cave is connected to the ocean which is why it's salt water, so I wonder why this starfish hasn't colonized other sites.

You need new maps. Look in my new book where I have a map showing around 90 cenotes on Cozumel, including 18 of the most famous ones with their names.

Aereolito is next to Caleta. It is part of an anchialine cave system, part salt water and part freshwater, connected to the sea. This brittle star adapted and evolved to survive the conditions of Aereolito and can't leave it now to colonize other sites in the ocean.

You need new maps.
I did not reference maps, other than to mention one that shows the cave does connect to the sea.

Look in my new book where I have a map showing around 90 cenotes on Cozumel, including 18 of the most famous ones with their names.
This link? https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S105579031830575X#f0035 I don't see maps, or do I need to buy a book?

Aereolito is next to Caleta.
So the site that said it's near the southern marina is correct? The article says the cave is under the golf course, and I only know of the one up north of town.

This brittle star adapted and evolved to survive the conditions of Aereolito and can't leave it now to colonize other sites in the ocean.
Got it, thanks.

aereolito.jpg

So the site that said it's near the southern marina is correct? The article says the cave is under the golf course, and I only know of the one up north of town.
I suppose that most folks who live on the island know the names and locations of the marinas. I do not. Caleta is south of town, the golf course is north of town - right? So the article is just wrong?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom