Unanticipated hazards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
That is completely ridiculous. People never cease to amaze me. If I was one of the people whose tank was cut off I might want criminal charges pressed against the person. Couldn't tell from article if these people knew each other or not, not that it makes any of it OK if that's the case...

That is completely ridiculous. People never cease to amaze me. If I was one of the people whose tank was cut off I might want criminal charges pressed against the person. Couldn't tell from article if these people knew each other or not, not that it makes any of it OK if that's the case...

The article says about one of the victims "The pair had apparently not met before the incident.". Even if they DID know one another this is totally unacceptable. Not funny in any way. I'm with you - criminal charges are appropriate. And there's no evidence the guy is certified either. Seems on the pathological side to me. There's always some dork who drops down on top of me. Now I'll be more attentive about how close they're getting to my tank valve. Stupid and evil.

The article says about one of the victims "The pair had apparently not met before the incident.".

Thanks missed that the first time I read it.

Even crazier if diver wasn't certified, not sure what boat/operator policies are in China having never dived there. The article did reference SDI/TDI, I am wondering if maybe the press just contacted them?

@AustinV - the dive trip was in the Philippines (have you had your coffee yet?! :wink:) - also made me wonder how in the world the guy got on the boat without proof of certification?

Those of you who dive the Philippines, do they require you show cert cards and ask when your last dive was?

When I was fifteen, uncertified, and taking a scuba PE class, some of us students--including me-- thought that it was the height of hilarity to shut of somebody's air at the bottom of the pool. Usually you did this to a friend, who then paid you back in kind.

Not very smart, but at least it wasn't 30 meters deep.

@AustinV - the dive trip was in the Philippines (have you had your coffee yet?! :wink:) - also made me wonder how in the world the guy got on the boat without proof of certification?

Those of you who dive the Philippines, do they require you show cert cards and ask when your last dive was?

I have NOT had my coffee yet, between that and reading the article on the phones small screen I missed a few things apparently :rofl3:

Either way, coffee or no coffee, China or Phillipines, this isn't acceptable behavior.

There was supposedly a Divemaster in Jamaica a few years ago that was doing that. He wanted the divers to be prepared for problems of that type. My understanding is that his certification agency decertified him as a Divemaster after it was reported.

I have personally seen three occasions on where a Divemaster has shut off a divers tank thinking that the tank was closed and that they were opening it just before a deep water entry. On a fourth occasion a Divemaster turned off a divers tank when they were not looking so as to not to leak on the surface. Only, the Divemaster forgot to turn it back on and the diver did a negative entry still thinking that his valve was open. If he had not been close by another diver, he might have drowned.

Situational awareness and attention to detail is important to prevent these types of situations regardless of who is in the water.

Back
Top Bottom