Should I buy this as my first entry into the world of bp/w?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopfully
Update: I bought the OMS steel backplate for $30, Then a local sold me his old HOG aluminum bp with harness for $50. Looks like I’ll just switch the harness to the steel plate, find a wing and tank adapter/rail, and be all set to try a bp/w for the first time. :wink:

Okay.......... you can stop buying backplates now.

I agree! The only reason I got it was because a harness set new from a dive shop here runs minimum $100... and making it myself was going to cost $80 (and probably not be very good)... and the guy selling it wouldn’t let me buy just the harness by itself.

Maybe I can sell the aluminum HOG plate when I get back for $30 and recoup half of the money? Or should I just hang on to it under the concept that “you can’t ever have too much gear”?

Keep them both....at least until you find out what you need.
I agree-keep both. I have my regular steel plate BPW for my normal weekly diving. Then I have my minimalist aluminum BPW plate for light weight vacation travel and it's a backup rig should something need fixing on my steel rig. @jerbee , nice score on 2 great rigs !!

you're in the Philippines? PHIDEX is on this coming weekend... might be a nice opportunity to get your wing on a bargain. I think Aquaventure is there and their Apeks wings are on sale.

Philippine International Dive Expo (PHIDEX)

I'd keep the aluminum plate as well until you figure out which one you need. I'm currently using an aluminum plate with an 18lb wing and i'm able to sink without extra weights.

@pubert - it says the “seaside complex of the Conrad Hotel”... any idea where in the PI that might be? I googled Conrad and it says there’s one in Manila so I’m guessing that’s the right one... I’d be interested in going just for the experience.

Although if you think I could score a good deal on a nice wing that’d be even better. I haven’t been to any sort of expo before - how would I even go about getting a dive pro price (I mean, I *am* a dive pro.. PADI DM) but I don’t know what I’d need to do to get one as cheap as I’m hoping to find. I would have thought the ones at the expo would all be normal price or like 10% off retail.. or am I off-base?

Keep them both. Depending on where you live/dive you may use both, I certainly do. Don't stress the luggage weight, I have worn my backplate onto the plane (with a few odd looks) more than once, have also stuffed it into a backpack and carried on.

@pubert - it says the “seaside complex of the Conrad Hotel”... any idea where in the PI that might be? I googled Conrad and it says there’s one in Manila so I’m guessing that’s the right one... I’d be interested in going just for the experience.

Although if you think I could score a good deal on a nice wing that’d be even better. I haven’t been to any sort of expo before - how would I even go about getting a dive pro price (I mean, I *am* a dive pro.. PADI DM) but I don’t know what I’d need to do to get one as cheap as I’m hoping to find. I would have thought the ones at the expo would all be normal price or like 10% off retail.. or am I off-base?

It's in the Mall of Asia area... for the pro discount i think you just have to show them your DM card. I'm not sure about the deals offered as this is i think the first PHIDEX (you just missed DRT two weeks ago, which I think is the bigger dive expo)

btw, you can register for a free visitor pass here: PHIDEX – Philippine International Dive Expo

...might be a nice opportunity to get your wing on a bargain.

You mean two wings.

Maybe I can sell the aluminum HOG plate when I get back for $30 and recoup half of the money? Or should I just hang on to it under the concept that “you can’t ever have too much gear”?

I hang on to both, rig them both, and find out which you like best or if they are good for different uses. When you have three wings you can sell one, if you don't take up doubles. Basicly you would be hard pressed to find a better deal if you sold them now and have to buy later.

Bob

@pubert maybe they’ll have bigger discounts since it’s the first event of its kind... any recommendation on what day I should go? I’m thinking all 3 would be excessive. Thanks for the registration link - I just filled mine out.. and double thanks for telling me about this in the first place - I never would have heard about it otherwise!

@Bob DBF that’s very true.. I lucked into these deals, and having a spare of two different materials may help me figure out what I prefer in different circumstances

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom