Key Largo itinerary and questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are headed to Key Largo Friday through Tuesday. In our adventures this weekend we harassed the dive shops from Jupiter to Deerfield Beach until I found a boot/fin combo I liked. (It started how it always did, I thought I could just get some replacement booties, turns out my fins didn’t fit me at all which is probably why my feet always hurt...) anyways, I came home with the Atomic Smoke on the Water fins with Scubapro heavy duty boots. I’m very excited to try them out but I’m thinking going for a nice shallow shore dive on our first afternoon in the Keys may be smart.

I read on here that Pennekamp has some fun Marine life, and I also read about the Christ of the Abyss statue. What I can’t figure out is if that statue is reachable from the shore, and if so, how do we get there?

My thought is: arrive at FLL at 9am. Drive to Key Largo. Two shore dives that first afternoon to try out my new kicks. Then, spend Sat, Sun, and Mon diving with Horizon Divers, morning and afternoon. We might actually do the coastal cleanup on Saturday morning. Any thoughts on this itinerary? Is anyone else participating in the cleanup? I’d love to go with Pirates Cove but the full day would be tough.

Losing my mind apparently, Pirates Cove is actually just the afternoon, from 1-6. So we can do that one or the Pennekamp cleanup.

What I can’t figure out is if that statue is reachable from the shore, and if so, how do we get there?

No, it's like 4-5 miles out. Similar with the rest of the reef. There is virtually no shore diving in the keys.

That is correct on no shore diving in the keys , if you want to try out the new fins at the park
in low visibility that should not be a problem . It is just not the reef that is 4-5 miles off shore .
We thank anyone that helps to try and keep our reefs clean , whether coastal clean-up or just
picking up trash on a normal scheduled dive . Have a great time with Horizon , they are good
folks .

Sea Dwellers
www.seadwellers.com

That is correct on no shore diving in the keys
That is not correct. Cannon beach in Pennekamp is a fun dive, though it might be a bit hot this time of year. Also, go do a snorkel in Florida Bay. Lots of life there among the mangroves including seahorses tons of lbster, sharks, and well, you name it. You might even catch a glimpse of the shy and elusive Sargent Major. :D :D :D

.... my feet always hurt...) anyways, I came home with the Atomic Smoke on the Water fins ....
Sorry you (& all-of-us) got blown out in Jupiter last weekend,,Dang double hurricanes!

Just a kicking note on your new Atomic splits. They can be very frustrating if you don't change your kicking technique from a traditional blade fin kick style. Try to barely bend your knees and really let your ankles do most of the bending when finning. If you try to go fast with wide strong kicks it just won't work. Short quick strokes letting the ankles do the work will have you loving them. It took me several dives after switching to the Atomic splits to break the blade-kick habit, but love them now.

If you are desperate for a shore dive on your arrival day, go to Blue Heron Bridge near West Palm Beach for the 1:12pm high tide shore dive, then drive to Key Largo. Blue Heron Bridge is incredible, and much better than shore diving in Key Largo. Or is BHB still low-vis from the bad weather?

If that schedule doesn't float your boat, you can dive the lagoon at Jule's Undersea Lodge (https://jul.com). I did some training there, but otherwise, not very interesting to me. I think it is $35.

Why not just go on an afternoon boat dive from Key Largo? You can request a boat going to a 'shallow' reef, of which there are many. Rainbow Reef even includes a free guide, and it is less than 2hr from FFL.

What the others said about Blue Heron but check the tide tables and the viz. Seems like the hurricane may have affected the viz. Also, check out a beach dive at Lauderdale by the sea. You can search SB for information on both.

Have fun.

I wouldn’t bother trying to put together a shore dive, just jump on the afternoon boat. Enjoy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom