Looking at an OBX vacation next year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lt CHEG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I want to take out first family vacation with our daughter next summer. She’s currently only 8 months old so we didn’t do any travel this year but figure things will work out well logistically next year. Based upon a small amount of research and a lot of positive recommendations from family friends the Outer Banks are currently at the top of our list. We are talking about bringing our whole family, wife, baby and I, along with all the grandparents and figure this location would be very conducive to that. I am not a beach person and really can’t spend more than about a day on the beach, but I love scuba diving so the ability to do some wreck dives (the type of diving that I am most interested in) for me and some family relaxing time for everyone else seems like a great compromise.

My wife is thinking that Kitty Hawk is the place to stay. I realize that most of the really famous wreck dives are further south out of Morehead but it looks like I can still have some good diving at a reasonable distance from Kitty Hawk. Currently I’m looking at a dive charter company out of Roanoke Island that looks promising. They offer a dive of the U85 which I would love to do as well as many other good looking wrecks. Capt. JP also offers some tougher dives out of Hatteras which looks like it might work for a one day deal too. My thoughts are that I can probably break away from the family for 3 days total out of the week, when they are content doing just beach stuff. My thoughts are to hit Roanoke Island twice for some wreck diving and make the longer trip to Hatteras once for a more advanced dive. It looks like the U701 and U352 are both options from Capt JP and the City of Houston wreck also seems very appealing. Does this sound like a reasonable plan to anyone that has done this type of trip? Can you recommend any other charter companies or give any feedback on the ones that I have mentioned? Keeping in mind that I’m trying to balance my desire to do some cool wrecks with keeping the rest of my non diving family happy, does it seem like I’m headed in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Roanoke Island is the only charter on that end of OBX. Boat leaves out of Manteo, which will be about a 5-10 min drive or so from Kitty Hawk. They also run some beach dives out of Kill Devil Hills, depth is pretty limited but they are nice wrecks to poke around. The U-85 is an awesome wreck to dive. You'll need a 7 mm suit.

If the family isn't too set on OBX, you can always consider the Wilmington area. We live in Northern VA and have become more of a Wrightsville/Carolina Beach family after years and years of OBX. Even though it is much further south on the coast, the trip down takes us the same amount of time - more highway driving and less small roads. Wrightsville has several dive ops, and a ton of good wrecks. Water is warmer, 3 mm or 5 mm depending on time of year. Also you can do meg tooth diving if that's your cup of tea. Of the beaches surrounding Wilmington (Wrightsville, Carolina, and Kure) we have found Carolina Beach to be the most like the OBX. Nice boardwalk, carnival rides permanently set up that our kids love, tons of restaurants, etc.

Also, should add - you can't go wrong at all with Roanoke Island Outfitters, they are a great operation to deal with, should have said that in the first post. If you go down to Wilmington area Aquatic Safaris would be your best bet for multiple days of diving.

They also run some beach dives out of Kill Devil Hills, depth is pretty limited but they are nice wrecks to poke around.

Before I got certified we vacationed in Duck for a few summers. Lots of heavy surf a lot of the time. How did you deal with that on shore dives?

Headed to Beaufort and Morehead City tomorrow for wreck and shark diving.

Before I got certified we vacationed in Duck for a few summers. Lots of heavy surf a lot of the time. How did you deal with that on shore dives?

Headed to Beaufort and Morehead City tomorrow for wreck and shark diving.

Eh, dealing with it on entry/exit can be a challenge sometimes, I always found the exits harder as you don't have your eyes on the waves as much. It's doable though. Hold on tight to your fins or they'll be gone.

Have fun in Morehead, I am heading there late September.

Eh, dealing with it on entry/exit can be a challenge sometimes, I always found the exits harder as you don't have your eyes on the waves as much. It's doable though. Hold on tight to your fins or they'll be gone.

Have fun in Morehead, I am heading there late September.

Thanks, I was guessing it was something like that. Surf never really seem to die down, so I assumed people were just dealing with it.

I am sure if you contact Roanoke Island Outfitters they can give you insight on some shore
diving possibilities as well as boat charters and current conditions . Any of the Outer banks
would be fine for the family for vacation . You would have to drive to any of the charter options .
My mother lives in Kill Devil Hills right next to Kittyhawk . There are a few shore dives off KDH
which I am sure RIO can help you with . Check out the Jolly Roger and Awful Arthurs for food
and enjoy your vacation !

Sea Dwellers

Back
Top Bottom