Backplate Recommendations for Oxycheq Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello
Warm water diver looking to build my first backplate/wing. I need something travel friendly and have my eye set on an Oxycheq 30# wing. The Oxycheq tank cam straps seem to be closer together than some of the other wings. Can anyone confirm this and make a recommendation on an aluminium backplate that will work with an Oxycheq wing (besides Oxycheq backplate)?
I'm looking at Hollis and Hog since they are easy to find where I live.

Thanks for the help.

First question.....warm water, why 30#?

2EE7EF8C-6B4A-4B17-BF95-F0C9EF1391C5.jpeg
I have and like that wing, yet it does not fold flat very well. I might look at Deep6 or Vintage Double Hose wings as they look to fold flat more easily.

Slots for straps are as above. There is a 1” web between top and bottom slots.

Agree 30 is likely more than need for tropics, though versatile.

ETA: I’ve used it with a harcyon plate.

I have gone back and forth on 18 vs 30.
Shops here (SE Asia) mostly sell 30 and is difficult to find 18. I emailed Oxycheq and they recommended the 30 due to versatility for warm/cold water. Obviously I won't be doing much cold water diving in SE Asia but I'm not sure why the shops don't stock 18s.

30# won't kill you, and if you might actually do cold water diving, the oxycheq is a decent choice as it is quite low profile.

Above mentioned VDH wing is good too if you can get it in your area.

As far as a plate, look for the ones with longer slots, or, if you go STA, you need not worry about it. @MichaelMc 's measurements above should prove useful.

So, I’m a fan of oxycheq wings, great shape and bulletproof. However not the best travel wing, if HOG is an option as you mentioned, 23lb Hog Donut Shaped Wing ****All Black Wing Only!*** , Piranha Dive Shop | . Streamlined, just the right amount of lift and economical if there’s any “lost luggage “ issues. Folds much flatter than the oxy wing. 30# are probably the most popular size of wing therefore easier to get stock and higher profit margins.

Small wings are special wings for special people doing specifically small minimalistic things
sometimes almost like small cell phones and big cars

If you are diving in the ocean and the swell or waves pick up and without a wetsuit
you want a wing that will lift you above all that stuff

Have a look at the size differences in these links, the 18 is tiny, the others not big

The build quality and materials of the VDH wing although similar, is far superior to the oxycheq
The oxycheq fabric is junk and has very poor colourfastness the bladder fittings are welded

Argonaut Dive #18 Wing

Store | Vintage Double Hose

I'm currently looking at the VDH 30??? or 35??? or whatever it is or whatever they are calling it at the moment

Yes Mr oxycheq is correct about the 30 wing

So 30ish sounds good whoever you buy it from

I have a VDH 18 and oxycheq 18 and OMS 32 and H 27 and some others
and they all fold the same except for the bungee in the VDH which can be disconnected

and if they fold like a handkerchief well then the fabric is a bit flim flam for me

So, I’m a fan of oxycheq wings, great shape and bulletproof. However not the best travel wing, if HOG is an option as you mentioned, 23lb Hog Donut Shaped Wing ****All Black Wing Only!*** , Piranha Dive Shop | . Streamlined, just the right amount of lift and economical if there’s any “lost luggage “ issues. Folds much flatter than the oxy wing. 30# are probably the most popular size of wing therefore easier to get stock and higher profit margins.
The Oxycheq wings here go for SGD 650.....so about USD 475. Shipping, import tax, currency conversion, etc. I’ve decided to buy online from the US and try to get backplate/wing/hardware all from same source to help reduce shipping costs. So my challenge is to find the right combination that works together before it ships/arrives.

I liked the shape of the oxycheq, specifically the top of the wing. Seemed a little more streamlined than others I’ve seen. How does the Hog compare?

I did a quick check for VDH wings, seems they are hard to find....website indicated out of stock.
Thanks for the help

View attachment 540543 I have and like that wing, yet it does not fold flat very well. I might look at Deep6 or Vintage Double Hose wings as they look to fold flat more easily.

Slots for straps are as above. There is a 1” web between top and bottom slots.

Agree 30 is likely more than need for tropics, though versatile.

ETA: I’ve used it with a harcyon plate.
Thanks

If you're weighted correctly you won't have much air in the wing so profile is not of great importance. The retailer you select will be able to recommend matching wings and plates. Oxycheq is an excellent brand, but very expensive. 30 lb is a lot of lift, but not crazy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom