Köbanya cellar system in Budapest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Germie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Last week I was in the Köbanya mine in Budapest. It was in the Middle ages a limestone mine, and then was a big big big cellar system. You still see that it is a cellar system and some parts seems to be still in use as cellars for wines.

Kobanya3.jpg

There are 4 flooded areas, we had only time to dive 2 sites. With your own car you drive into the callar system to the divesites. It is really huge, a complete maze.

20190910-091639.jpg

20190910-091650.jpg

20190910-091852.jpg

The entrance is just a stairs down to the water:
20190910-091943.jpg

Under water you don't see rails, but stairs and stairs. And some tunnels. The water is clear and around 13 degrees C year round. It is not a difficult dive, just follow the only line that is in there, it is not big, but it is a nice place to take pictures. If I have the chance, then I go back for some more days diving here.

Kobanya4.jpg

Kobanya.jpg

Kobanya1.jpg

kobanya2.jpg

Wow!
My father is Hungarian, good reason to go to the old country before he kicks the bucket

full.jpg

90 years of horticulture tomorrow

Wow!
My father is Hungarian, good reason to go to the old country before he kicks the bucket

View attachment 540574

90 years of horticulture tomorrow
You also can dive the Molnar Janos cave (not my favorite, I will post pictures later), dive in open water in Vadna (not special) or Rudabanya (also not special). But we mixed diving with culture and also visited the north (Szilvasvarad and dove Rudabanya) and one of the Aggtelek drycaves.

Personally I preferred the Molnar Janos Cave over the Kobanya. Especially if you are there in the wintertime and enjoy the water temps in the cave.

Personally I preferred the Molnar Janos Cave over the Kobanya. Especially if you are there in the wintertime and enjoy the water temps in the cave.
It was too much guided diving. No single decision could be made. And in Kobanya we had our freedom (no guided diving). Normally I prefer caves, but this time I really enjoyed the cellar system. On a next visit to Budapest, of course we will do the cave again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom