Real Time Blue Manta Review: Banda Sea 9 – 19 Sept 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A57646F3-014A-47AA-AFC7-4A24C8AF267B.jpeg

Current status of the loading deck in a calm morning of Banda Neira. Half of the deck is taken up by the flooded dinghy on stilts.

Yes, 5 showers with soap and shampoo. After our dives they had benches for you to sit down and get your wetsuit off. Anytime I struggled to get my hooded vest off, one of the crew would help me.

View attachment 540437
Tat is a great picture of the loading deck in calm seas.

As Dan said in moderate seas the deck floods, you can be taking off your wetsuit in a foot of surge. One f the stools fell on my buddy and she bruised or broke a toe.

I have been told that the deck on the BM is .2m above water line, and that on the White Manta is .6m above the water line. So apparently someone got a clue!

Our DM said that they load off the back every place except Banda Sea, where the seas are just too rough. And really it's not that rough, but with a deck at the waterline there is little to no room for surge.

- Bill

Try the Arenui next time. Great boat & great crew when we went on it.

The the Arenui next time. Great boat & great crew when we went on it.

I think @Dan is not going to take a traditional phinisi or any wooden boat across Banda ever again after what happened the first time he did it and given how rough the water can be. A steel hull is a better bet for something like that.

I should of been clearer, I meant for an Indonesian liveaboard in general, not a Banda sea trip.

Dan should correct me if I'm wrong but it seems unlikely that he'll be doing a Banda crossing trip again on any kind of boat.

Dan should correct me if I'm wrong but it seems unlikely that he'll be doing a Banda crossing trip again on any kind of boat.

Right. Once is enough. If I want to see hammerheads in clear blue water, I’ll go back to Cocos, which I will in September 2020.

Schooling Sea Kraits are cool though.

The hammerheads I saw on Maui were in the clearest water I have ever seen.

Loving the live reports (both good and bad)

I’m wondering: when you dive “in the blue” for the hammerheads- is there anything else to see? Or if you don’t see them the dive is (more or less) “wasted”.

How many dives a day? And are most blue water dives or mixed with reefs/pinnacle as well?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom