Should I buy this as my first entry into the world of bp/w?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerbee

Contributor
Reaction score
Baton Rouge, LA / Puerto Galera, Philippines
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I’m currently in the Philippines until November, and after getting a Shearwater Perdix AI a few days ago, I’m thinking I may as well move from my regular “poodle jacket” bcd (an Atomic Aquatics BC1) to a bp/w. Or at least start getting pieces of one together...

One of the other DM’s is offering to sell me one of his spare backplate. It’s a OMS stainless steel backplate without the harness. It’s in reasonably good shape - no dents or dings. The price is $40.

Should I get it? If not, any particular reason? I haven’t heard much about OMS so any input you guys might have will be greatly appreciated.

The ones I have are very nicely finished. Same for newer ones. You can buy a new one from DGX for $119.00/$127.30 after tax, so, yeah, 40 bucks sounds good.

(Buy it now, before he reads this).

The OMS backplate looks as good as any.

yup, good gear, $40 a good price. One thing, if its an older plate it may only have a 1 inch slot for the crotch strap, check before ordering a harness.

..Should I get it? If not, any particular reason? ...
IMHO....NO.

Since you are traveling by air to go diving, a steel plate adds an additional 6lbs of luggage weight that you will need for other gear. Purchasing instead an aluminum or kydex plate will reduce your travel weight so you don't get charged $40 to $200 in fees from airlines.

IMHO....NO.

Since you are traveling by air to go diving, a steel plate adds an additional 6lbs of luggage weight that you will need for other gear. Purchasing instead an aluminum or kydex plate will reduce your travel weight so you don't get charged $40 to $200 in fees from airlines.
Not quite - probably closer to a 4lb difference.
My OMS SS plate is 5.25lbs.
Dive Rite Standard SS plate is
DiveRite LW SS plate is 2.53lbs.
I don't have one here, but the DSS Kydex is probably close to 2lbs as I was feeling one in comparison to the DiveRite LW
A standard AL plate cant be much less than 1.25-1.5lbs

I’m already here, so I would just have to worry about bringing it home. I remember reading something on here where a person told the airline that it the backplate was a “back brace”, and as such is considered “medical equipment” and not counted towards overall luggage weight. :wink:

Update: I bought the OMS steel backplate for $30, then decided I was going to build a harness to save money. I priced the materials, and they came out to around $80 for a bare-bones harness. Then a local sold me his old HOG aluminum bp with harness for $50. Looks like I’ll just switch the harness to the steel plate, find a wing and tank adapter/rail, and be all set to try a bp/w for the first time. :wink:

Attachments

• E3D43895-F323-4B6A-B861-FA839776B2A0.jpeg
    E3D43895-F323-4B6A-B861-FA839776B2A0.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 147
  • D4CE9218-5F30-4CE3-950D-68CEF940D8A0.jpeg
    D4CE9218-5F30-4CE3-950D-68CEF940D8A0.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 152
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom