Forgot to charge pony bottle 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Forgot to open the valve on my pony bottle yesterday. Realized it at the car aftet the dive. Fresh water, DIN 1st stage....took of spg and opened valve, then took off hp hose and opened valve again, put hose and sog back on then pressed purge button on 2nd stage for about 30-40 seconds.

Did not seem like any water ingressed into 1st stage but not 100% sure.

Any further advice other than a teardown and rebuild or not worry about it?

-Z

I flooded mine this way and then breathed it for 12 minutes on deco. Fresh water. No harm done. Been using it all season with no issues. Other than the coughing fit. I now always purge before switching to deco gas!

Ymmv

I think you should be fine. With the regulator installed and sealed, the only way for water to get in is through the second stage and climb the hoses. This will compress the atmospheric air trapped inside which will push back on the water. Depending on your depth it might not have even made it to the first stage. That said, your drying process sounds like a good precaution.

What brand of reg. Atomics have the seat saver so it is possible for water to enter the first stage. If unsure after blowing out I would remove all hoses and port plugs and leave in the sun to warm up.

Even if you didn't charge it, would water really push against the atmosferic air in the line to reach the 1st stage?
I've always wondered.

I charge mine and lock off before slashing, then charge back/lock off after the splash before I descend. I'm always fearful I'll forget one day.

When this happened to me I was at a max depth of about 95', and below 70' for maybe 30 - 40 minutes. I hadn't charged it, and it took three water laden breaths before it started breathing normally. Those breaths were very difficult to draw too. In hindsight I should have switched back to my bottom gas and purged the regulator on my deco bottle. Lesson learned!

I think biggest concern after the dive would be water getting in the SPG. Probably not a real concern since you took it off before purging the system.

35 minute dive, 17.5 meters max depth...average depth was 7.3 meters.

Was diving with a friend...This was his first dive since getting his ow cert a few weeks ago. I was paying more attention to him than I was my own setup and did not op test the reg set on the pony bottle during the buddy check.

All seems well, but definitely a lesson learned.

-Z

continue to keep on eye on the IP. It might still begin to creep.

Back
Top Bottom