Dive knife and flashlight positioning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RLima

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Where do you all keep your dive knife when sidemounting? I want to keep mine in the waist band but I'm afraid it will get in the way of the sliding d-rings.

And what about the primary flashlight? I'm not exactly happy to carry it in the cargo pouch instead of the shoulder bands.

Thoughts?

Edit: for reference I'm setting up an xdeep stealth 2.0 tec bcd.

The knife MUST be reachable one-handed, with either hand. Mine is on my chest strap. The light is not so critical, but clipped to a shoulder d-ring and bungeed to the strap so it doesn't flop around is common. IMHO pockets in sidemount suck.

The knife MUST be reachable one-handed, with either hand. Mine is on my chest strap. The light is not so critical, but clipped to a shoulder d-ring and bungeed to the strap so it doesn't flop around is common. IMHO pockets in sidemount suck.
Yep. Shorts with pockets I have tried. Not practical.
I have a cutting device on my harness and one on the outside of my bum bag.
For general diving I carry 2 lights, one in the bum bag and one in a pouch attached to my left tank.
I find the left tank pouch especially useful for spare gear.

Apeks tech shorts. They have big D-rings in the pockets I carry my trilobite cutting tool on my belt webbing, but flashlight, extra wet lenses etc all clipped to those rings in the pockets. Flashlight on extender line.

So in short, I don’t agree with the posters above, but it has to be the apeks shorts. I have no issue accessing them. Feels completely natural. I carry SMB/PLB/spare mask/signal kit, water and reel in my butt bag and I wrestle into divesites on Bonaire carrying 2 sidemount tanks, full nauticam housing with strobes x2, keldan videolights x2. Etc and need to put on/take off fins in surf..I carry nothing ‘on’ my rig other than the trilobite. I don’t want anything hanging on me that could accidentally catch the reef. suppose I could drop the shorts if I wasn’t a photographer, but still wouldn’t be crazy about anything on my front rig.

One Trilobit on each shoulder just above the D-Ring and Shears in or attached to the butt pouch. Backup lights are clipped to the shoulder D-Ring and banded to the straps below them one on each side. Primary light is on a goodman handle.

One cutting tool on each forearm (held by the computer strap and slate/backup computer). Primary light butt mounted and backup on the shoulder harness.

Small knife in a sheat on my upper arm, pointing inward so it can't get stuck, cutting tool on computer strap (a bit bulky but not to bad.)
Primary light bungeed bellow chest d-ring, spares clipped under the wing (stealth clasic) All available to be pulled out one handed by either hand.

I carry two computers, one on each forearm/wrist, and I have a Trilobite cutter on each computer's straps. Each cutter stays on the underside of my forearm and deploys toward my hand.

Butt-mounted light. Cutter on each wrist computer strap. Backup lights in butt-mounted cargo pouch.

one benchmade 7 z-knife on my computer straps, the other on a wrist slate. One trilobite on the inflator hose.

Butt mounted canister, runs up along the left side of the harness with the light cable zip tied onto it and comes out over the top of my left shoulder. Backup lights on a helmet

Back
Top Bottom