Swimming lessons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Syns

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Konbanwa!

I am getting ready to start my OW dives soon (thank you all immensely for the advice knowingly and unknowingly given regarding equipment), and also plan on starting swim lessons soon. Don't worry, I can swim!

However, despite my ability to be a "strong" swimmer, I have close to zero technique, and am therefore not a "good" swimmer. Are there any swim techniques barefoot that translate well into diving with fins?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Flutter kick in bare feet translates well to fins. You need much better technique to generate thrust with bare feet. Flexible fins can generate some thrust with very poor and inefficient technique. I’ve seen divers able to move (slowly) with the worst bicycle kick in flexible fins.

Most important though is the confidence in the water you can gain in swim lessons. So that something like an unexpected wave in the face won’t cause any panic.

Most important though is the confidence in the water you can gain in swim lessons. So that something like an unexpected wave in the face won’t cause any panic.
I will definitely ask for advice on flutter kicks, then. As for panicking in the ocean, I grew up in Florida and spent many years kayaking (mostly unsuccessfully) in the ocean, so I should be mostly okay with being roughed up a bit by the water!

Yes, flutter kicks. My experience is there is no difference swimming with or without fins, except with fins you go a lot faster. Without, you get 75% of your speed with the arms, so kicking more than you should will not get you much and wear you out. I would guess that well over 50% of your speed comes from legs if you use fins. Not sure on how exact that would be.

Konbanwa!

However, despite my ability to be a "strong" swimmer, I have close to zero technique, and am therefore not a "good" swimmer.

I don't understand that part - maybe I am misunderstanding your usage of words or English. So you are a strong swimmer but have no technique? I am working on re-learning my swim technique and struggling in actual practice with things like timing my breath etc (I mostly forget the video lessons I watched when in the pool), so I am curious.

Thanks
P

A good technique when swimming freestyle is to learn to inhale "bilaterally", alternating turning your head left when right arm is extended forward, then to the right when left arm is extended, repeat, repeat....
It "balances" you, and your head stays "in" the water, and so it is easier on your neck muscles than breathing with head facing forward and lifted up, which is too much extra work, and is slower.
Good goggles are a must!
You may already know all this. Either way, best wishes. As you become a relaxed swimmer, you'll also become a more relaxed (and confident) diver.

I don't understand that part - maybe I am misunderstanding your usage of words or English. So you are a strong swimmer but have no technique? I am working on re-learning my swim technique and struggling in actual practice with things like timing my breath etc (I mostly forget the video lessons I watched when in the pool), so I am curious.

Thanks
P
I didn't understand that as well. Perhaps meaning one is physically very strong and can get going pretty fast in water but still having poor technique. When I assisted OW, I would say about 60%+ doing the 200 meter swim would fit that category, the remaining being swimmers with proper technique and those who should take up badminton.

Reactions: Zef
I didn't understand that as well. Perhaps meaning one is physically very strong and can get going pretty fast in water but still having poor technique.
Pretty much this. I am capable of getting from point a to point b, and can even do it at a decent pace, but not efficiently, and being exhausted in the water is not ideal.

I am working on re-learning my swim technique and struggling in actual practice with things like timing my breath etc (I mostly forget the video lessons I watched when in the pool)

Time your stroke to your breath, not the other way around.

Once you get that working, you'll likely find that if you breathe on every stroke and go fast, you'll hyperventilate. And if you breathe on the same side on every other stroke, you'll start running out of breath as you tire and/or speed up a bit. That's how you end up breathing "on three", alternating left and right: it just usually works out to be the best breathing rhythm for most people.

Take lessons and more lessons. Having an instructor giving guidance helped me with my stroke and kick. I could barely swim 25 m 3 years ago and now I'm up to 12 laps. Finally got certified Jun 2018. Best of luck to you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom