Sea Surveyor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony Appleyard

Contributor
Reaction score
Vessel details for: SEA SURVEYOR (Research/Survey Vessel) - IMO 7813901, MMSI -7813901, Call Sign C6QL6 Registered in Bahamas | AIS Marine Traffic

Is that Sea Surveyor the same boat that I had my 1st and 3rd Red Sea liveaboard diving holidays (1994 and 1996) on? It started life as a trawler named Martin Knudsen, registered at Esbjerg in Denmark; but some said that it was actually a spy-boat, and that when world Communism fell, the boat's spy gear was stripped out and the boat was sold off as a ex-trawler.

Does it LOOK like the same boat?

Just one more quick comment on something I know nothing about,

That ship looks entirely too big and industrial to have ever been a live aboard. And would have too much draft that could damge the reef in shallow spots.

Most of the Middle East boats I've seen (on websites) are a lot smaller and nicer,

The old Sea Surveyor that I had 2 scuba diving holidays on in the Red Sea in 1994 and 1996 (apart from anything newer that re-used its name) , seems to be described here: "Red Sea Survey" 119' - www.hugohein.com, hh@hugohein.com, +45 2081.9746

It now may be named "Red Sea Surveyor".

That is stated to be "ex. "Martin Knudsen"", confirms it to me :: once I saw the name "Martin Knudsen" on its stern painted-out but visible.

The boat has likely been much altered from when I dived from it, When I was on it:
* Some rooms were still labelled in Danish, e.g. "Instrumentrum"
* Its beds had low fixed cot-sides so that their occupants were not tipped out on the floor in North Sea or Barents Sea type storms.

One advantage that it had was: that in it, what I call the "unholy trinity" (the diving ladder and the diesel exhaust pipe and the propeller) were well away from each other.

I have seen a Red Sea diving liveaboard where each of the 2 diesel exhaust pipes blew straight open-ended point-blank through each of the 2 diving ladders.

I have dived on a Red Sea liveaboard where a large recess astern contained the diving ladder and the propeller and the diesel exhaust pipe :: in no wind and the engine running, that recess became a gas chamber, and divers returning to the boat were advised to keep their masks on and their mouthpieces in until they were well up on deck.

The lower deck room labelled "Instrumentrum" :: someone had removed its ceiling and the deck above it, to make it into a vertical shaft where big loads of diving gear and furnishings and suchlike could be quickly transferred between the upper deck and the lower deck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom