Choosing our perfect diving destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe Curacao was mentioned. I love Bonaire for diving, but in looking for topside activities to do as well, it is a smaller island with a much quieter pace. It is stunning and the diving is fantastic!
That being said, in 8 days we're headed back to Curacao for our 3rd year for a 25 day vacation. We stay in the same "resort" right on the ocean, for easy access to snorkeling and diving. It gives us the option to have most of our meals, easy to cook or prepare to take with us. We stay on the west end of the island where it is quieter, however there are many options to stay closer to Willemsted with similar accomadations. There are many things to do/explore on the island. After 3 years, we still haven't tackled all of them. Plus, and the real bonus here, is we get an incredible month long holiday and it never breaks the bank!

]Thank you for all your replies.

We are currently on Bali and did some diving in Amed and Tulamben. It was quite nice, but far from the Maldives, where we have been two years ago. The Maldives had much, much nicer reefs and quite a bit more fish.

We'd like to try a new destination in 2020. The problem with the Maldives is that you can only do diving and not much else on the tiny island where you are usually based.

We are usually taking a 3 weeks vacation, so having other options besides diving is really important for us.

We have never been to the Red Sea, but I think that most people don't leave their resort and it's somewhat similar to the Maldives.

If we cross off the Maldives, South-East-Asia and the Red Sea, isn't the Caribbean the next best thing to do?
We appreciate your input alot![/QUOTE]

If we cross off the Maldives, South-East-Asia and the Red Sea, isn't the Caribbean the next best thing to do?
Not sure why you would cross off SE Asia? You’ve been a couple places in the region but there are tons more and certainly lots of better diving than the Caribbean to be found.

Wanting other things to do can sometimes conflict with finding the best diving and you need to compromise. Or split your 3 weeks between 2 different spots, its good to have the time to be able to do that.

If you are currently on Bali, have you been taken out on a 3 dive day to see the manta, mola mola and the drifting reef dive?

Otherwise, if you are interested in the Caribbean, did I understand you to say that your next to week vacation will be at this same time of year? My recommendation is to skip the Caribbean at this time of year during hurricane season.

Others will dispute my recommendation because, if there's no hurricane where you end up, it can be a spectacular time to dive. However, from my perspective, as it is your big leave time, you should be going somewhere less likely to have a hurricane problem, merely to avoid angst, if nothing else.

That said, there are parts of the Caribbean below what is considered the usual hurricane corridor. This is no 100% guarantee but the odds are significantly more in your favour.

Consider Grenada. The island is very beautiful with the kind of beaches that you seek. There are waterfalls and older buildings and history though not ancient history. The coral reefs are not what you'll find in SE Asia and schools of fish like in Maldives are rare too. Regardless, with the right dive operation, you should still enjoy yourselves very much.

I believe that you can get to Grenada on a direct flight from London, though there may be a quick stop in St. Lucia along the way.

@Wingy Thank you for your suggestions. From a diving perspective, you are absolutely right, but I believe that these destinations don't fit our other criteria.

@Damselfish I know that you have tons of beautiful diving places in SE Asia. Even here in Indonesia we still have a lot more to explore. However we want to experience a different "vibe" and a different continent in our next vacation. I am definitely sure that we will return here in SE Asia soon enough.

@chillyinCanada Yes, we have been near Nusa Penida and have seen mantras. What we don't like about Bali is the fact that it is very busy outside the north and the east. Also, the beaches in this area are not so good for swimming and can't compare to the Caribbean.
At this point we realized that it would probably best to split the vacation into two: one in march and one in september. This way, we can avoid the hurricane season.

So far, we have the following destinations on our list:

- Mexico (diving at Cozumel)
- Curaçao
- Cuba
- Grenada (just added, thank you @chillyinCanada)
- maybe Bahamas?

Thanks again for your help, this is very kind of you!

@Wingy Thank you for your suggestions. From a diving perspective, you are absolutely right, but I believe that these destinations don't fit our other criteria.

@Damselfish I know that you have tons of beautiful diving places in SE Asia. Even here in Indonesia we still have a lot more to explore. However we want to experience a different "vibe" and a different continent in our next vacation. I am definitely sure that we will return here in SE Asia soon enough.

@chillyinCanada Yes, we have been near Nusa Penida and have seen mantras. What we don't like about Bali is the fact that it is very busy outside the north and the east. Also, the beaches in this area are not so good for swimming and can't compare to the Caribbean.
At this point we realized that it would probably best to split the vacation into two: one in march and one in september. This way, we can avoid the hurricane season.

- Curaçao
- Cuba
- maybe Bahamas?

I'd suggest Grand Cayman as well - fantastic white sand beaches and crystal clear water, very good and diverse diving if you dive around the different sides, including some really amazing walls and good shore/night diving as well. It's not cheap, but there are ways to keep it reasonable. Plenty of restaurants and bars but not a real party Island. There a few day-trippy things as well: botanical gardens, caves, the turtle farm, fishing, snorkeling trips/Stingray City. We love it!

- Curaçao
- Cuba
- maybe Bahamas?

Based on the above and what you have stated previously, I would be going to Cozumel for your primary diving and I would then spend time over on the mainland (Yucatan Peninsula) exploring Mayan ruins and towns and also throw in some Cenote Diving one day or two. You will likely find more flight options from Europe into Cancun and they will be less expensive than flying into Cozumel. Personally, I would have no qualms about going to Cozumel in September and have done so. That being said, March is a much better month from a day time temperature standpoint for traveling to the region.

Perhaps you could do a split trip back to Maldives for diving and Sri Lanka for fun and adventure.

Yes, Bali is crazy traffic. Such a shame

You might also really like Belize. There are some amazing things to do in land and the scene on the Cayes can be quite fun with good diving.

That said, the Caribbean is suffering from sargassum influx, truly overwhelming.

Back to Grenada, the most popular beaches are not on the Atlantic side and don't seem to be as problematic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom