Best way to hook up camera to BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viper12161

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Picked up a cheap little under water camera from Amazon and I'm trying to figure out the best and safest way to connect it. I picked up a Snappy Coil for it but not sure what the best way to connect that to the BC is. He camera came with a bunch of connectors that go to the waterproof case. So not sure if I should just connect the ring directly to the case...or use on of the connectors to the case and then put the ring into that. Pic shows the connector on...so ring would go to that...or the clear pieces right on the case.

Attachments

• 1568578207656607776343186596512.jpg
    1568578207656607776343186596512.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 355
tie a bolt snap to the mount. Same way you tie a bolt snap to a regulator hose, light etc. Clip it off when not using. You can use a hair band stolen from your wife, or make one out of bungee around your wrist and clip it to that when using it so you don't drop it.

looks like a gopro style mount. You may also consider mounting it to an extendable "selfie stick". Many folks use extendable sticks like that to get the camera where they want it to take a picture/video. Without the extendable stick you have to have very good control of your buoyancy to get the camera where you want it to take the picture.

Not advocating for any brand in particular but these are what I am referencing https://www.amazon.com/s?k=underwat...832281&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_960uqwqnpy_b

For mounting it you can use a bolt-snap like @tbone1004 mentioned or a lanyard that always remains connected to your BCD like this. The advantage of this is it is always connected to both the camera and BCD so if you drop the camera/selfie stick it is always connected. Either solution works well.
51qu4RbALwL._SL1001_.jpg

Thanks!! Yep, Loosenit...that's exactly what I have. What I am trying to figure out is that metal ring on the right side there...and if I should put that on a mount...or take the mount off the camera, and just attach it directly to the case itself. The camera came with about 15 differnt mounts...I picked that one as it was straight and had the holes for me to put the ring through. Definitely like the idea of it being attached to me at all times.

@Viper12161 if you're using the one pictured above, just put that ring through the holes on the mount directly. It may be somewhat annoying to hand-hold though so looking at something like a selfie stick is probably a good idea

That's what I prefer. After swapping that puny carabiner for a large size boltsnap.

I also tie a bolt snap directly to the rig.

If I'm shooting and stuff happens, I can just drop my rig. It's still attached to me with the lanyard.If I'm done shooting or would like to have my hands free, I clip the rig to a shoulder D-ring and can basically forget about it.

I use one of those stroller carabiners meant to hold grocery bags, like this:
71JoqU+FeoL._SY355_.jpg

I loop the velcro tabs around the arm / light mount and then snap it into a d-ring if I'm not using it. Obviously this would not work with a big rig but works great for a Sealife or go-pro set up.

I also use a goodman glove or tank mount for the go-pro when doing video. I should warn you though, I suck at both stills and video so don't take my word for it. I found the best method for anyone is whatever works. You're going to have lots and lots of straps and doo-dads before you find the perfect system for you.

Back
Top Bottom