Lembeh unless....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Considering I would have almost 2 weeks apart from the liveaboard,
which itinerary would be better:
1. Fly in, Lembeh/Bangka, liveaboard, fly out
2. Fly in, Bangka, liveaboard, Lembeh, fly out.

I can fly out of Indonesia via Manado (versus Jakarta) so either way, I will need another flight after the liveaboard from Sorong.

People I met in Ambon were in Lembeh the previous week or were going there, it should all work fine unless an airline cancels , sorry consolidates it’s flights.

I have flown into and out of Manado via Singapore with Singapore Airlines from London, for a two week trip to Lembeh.This was very quick and easy and meant minimal loss of diving time.

I have spent a week diving Lembeh Strait, at the Lembeh Resort. The best diving in the world, and while I haven't been everywhere, I have been to a lot of the top dive locations in the world. I am going back to Lembeh for 3 weeks in January, followed by a trip to Raja Ampat where we board the Dewi Nusantara for 10 days at the beginning of February. So you won't hear any argument from me about going elsewhere. We fly from Miami to LA to Singapore and then Singapore to Manado. The resort picks us up at the airport and takes us to the resort -- about an hour away. Then we fly direct from Manado to Sarong to catch the Dewi (1.5 hour flight). So Lembeh is very convenient for your planned trip. I have also heard great things about Wakitobi but it is not as convenient for our travel plans as Lembeh. If you haven't gone to Lembeh and you like critter hunts, you will be in heaven!

Can you tell which resort?

I've stayed at Murex, 3 times. Prettiest of locations.

Bastianos is new, and even before it showed up, the location was not as pretty to my mind as the Murex location.

Regardless, Bastianos is brand new, has a pier which probably means that one does not have to wade out and board the boat by crawling up the back by the motors.

Bastianos has a pool, which Murex does not. This appeals to me, I've no idea why when there's a whole ocean right out in front.

The units at Bastianos are all new, whereas at Murex some are older and not all that, though still cute from outside. Then there are some less cute duplex that I find preferable from a comfort perspective. And then there are some units that are much newer and I've not seen them as they were just being built at the time of my last stay.

The first pic is of my very first view ever of Bangka...also the closest to the shore the boat was able to get so it was always a walk through the water to the shore with the boatman carrying your bag above his head...now I hear there's a pier.

Sauhong at that stage was my holy grail - that view of Bangka then will always be how I see Bangka in my mind.

Remember Bill's Third Rule of Travel: Wherever you plan to go, there is always someone who has been there 3 or 30 years before "when it was really great".

I'd suggest you do : Lembeh/Bangka/LOB
After RA you will be pretty disappointed with basically every other dive spot in the world!! Yes yes I'm being dramatic!
Not worth wasting a day of flying to go from Manado to Ambon in my opinion.

I'd suggest you do : Lembeh/Bangka/LOB
After RA you will be pretty disappointed with basically every other dive spot in the world!! Yes yes I'm being dramatic!
Not worth wasting a day of flying to go from Manado to Ambon in my opinion.
Noted! Is it worth going to both Lembeh and Bangka, or stick with one?

With 12-13 nights, I'd definitely split. I've done 3 weeks at Bangka and skipped Lembeh altogether but in your case, that would not be sensible.

Back
Top Bottom