Pony Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubasteve1984

Registered
Reaction score
Current setup...
Above 60 feet: 100cf primary with one xtx50 reg and one 19cf back mounted with a mk15 1st and g260 2nd
Below 60 feet: 100cf primary with TWO xtx50 reg and one 40cf front mounted with a mk15 1st and g260 2nd

I like the current two configs though I dislike having to screw in the second XTX50 into the 100cf 1st stage when changing depths. I figure if I'm above 60' me and my buddy can surface safely on the 19 and 100. Having that 3rd 2nd stage though above 60 seems overkill or confusing as its not on the tank itself and instead my bc. Below 60 that isnt an issue and the reg for the pony is on the tank itself.

Possible solutions and questions...
- If I didnt own the i3 inflator I'd likely just buy and airsource and solve the issue that way. Buying a different BC and an airsource might be a solution though my preference would be an actual octupus.
- Would a LP "in-line" hose quick disconnect be a solution here? I could run a 6" LP hose to a QD then another hose to the regulator. This would allow a quick change out. Where could I buy this from please?
- What would you do where the 19 must be kept?

Thank you

120cf with a 25cf 232bar 3L steel pony, one second stage each, and standard inflator
pony a prerequisite for solo dives from commercial dive boats
in the lovely warm place where I live

full.jpg

The one second stage from each bottle and standard inflator is my choice

for all dives down to 40-50m but not for too long

Where has half my wing gone

My advice would be to keep the second XTX on the rig and leave the pony at home (or sling it) for dives under 60 ft. You mentioned a buddy so I assume you are not diving solo. Your buddy should be your alternate air source in case of an emergency. Did you come up with this configuration or did someone recommend it?

Current setup...
Above 60 feet: 100cf primary with one xtx50 reg and one 19cf back mounted with a mk15 1st and g270 2nd
Below 60 feet: 100cf primary with TWO xtx50 reg and one 40cf front mounted with a mk15 1st and g270 2nd

I like the current two configs though I dislike having to screw in the second XTX50 into the 100cf 1st stage when changing depths. I figure if I'm above 60' me and my buddy can surface safely on the 19 and 100. Having that 3rd 2nd stage though above 60 seems overkill or confusing as its not on the tank itself and instead my bc. Below 60 that isnt an issue and the reg for the pony is on the tank itself.

Possible solutions and questions...
- If I didnt own the i3 inflator I'd likely just buy and airsource and solve the issue that way. Buying a different BC and an airsource might be a solution though my preference would be an actual octupus.
- Would a LP "in-line" hose quick disconnect be a solution here? I could run a 6" LP hose to a QD then another hose to the regulator. This would allow a quick change out. Where could I buy this from please?
- What would you do where the 19 must be kept?

Thank you

A couple of questions that might add clarity to any responses given on the board:

1. Why do you add an additional 2nd stage to your primary below 60 ft? What is driving you to do that?
2. This is secondary to your original question but why do you go from a 19cf pony to a 40cf pony below 60 ft? I can imagine a couple of reasons but rather than speculate understanding your reasons is important.
2a. Can you describe the type of diving you are doing? Are you doing recreational diving within NDL limits or pushing into something more risky (like deco, wreck penetration etc)?

Standardize your primary tank regulator setup (leave both second stages mounted) so you aren’t regularly having to install and remove a hose to your first stage.

Unless there’s a concern driving the pony bottle addition for carrying shallower than 60’ (ex. Poor vis, entanglement hazard, etc.)...I’d ditch the pony bottle if you’re diving with a buddy.

A couple of questions that might add clarity to any responses given on the board:

1. Why do you add an additional 2nd stage to your primary below 60 ft? What is driving you to do that?
2. This is secondary to your original question but why do you go from a 19cf pony to a 40cf pony below 60 ft? I can imagine a couple of reasons but rather than speculate understanding your reasons is important.
2a. Can you describe the type of diving you are doing? Are you doing recreational diving within NDL limits or pushing into something more risky (like deco, wreck penetration etc)?

1. Additional stage is added in case the 100cf is needed by both divers. I've struggled with if it's actually needed with the 40cf being available.

2. If I'm at 115ft the 19cf will be used up too quickly though would probably be enough to surface quickly. The 40cf gives me enough time to be confortable if an issue comes up.

2a. Just regular buddy recreation diving with no penetration and within NDL. I'm also in MI so low visibility and 40 degree water is common.

I never used a 19cf until about my 130th dive (this year) and find the comfort level I get with having it (and the extra air when needed) is worth it. I honestly cannot tell the difference of it mounted or not.

Thank you

120cf with a 25cf 232bar 3L steel pony, one second stage each, and standard inflator
pony a prerequisite for solo dives from commercial dive boats
in the lovely warm place where I live

View attachment 540207

The one second stage from each bottle and standard inflator is my choice

for all dives down to 40-50m but not for too long

Where has half my wing gone

Nice and leaning towards similar. I actually have 133cf similar to your 122. Sounds heavy though it's actually pretty easy to use and I can transfill my ponys with it if needed.

Why all the messing around with different configurations? Pick one and keep to it. Saves confusion and you don’t end up at a dive site without any needed gear.

I sling an AL40 if below 60ft. I dive my regular HP80 singles unless I’m making a really deeper dive, in which case I’ll rent HP100.

I dislike ponies mounted to back tank with a necklaced reg. I sling mine and it’s got its own reg. There is no mistaking what’s what.

Back
Top Bottom