Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe you and a lot of other (rec divers?) don’t like the message. Off coarse you can learn a lot of an experienced diver. But This isn’t only about learning from an experienced diver.

Have you ever done a 165 feet/49,5 meter wreckdive ?

There is a reason the gas switch isn’t done that way by most people. It doesn’t make sense to verify after the switch. What will you do when you buddy should verify you and he has a failure ? How can your buddy verify that you are breathing from the right tank when he can’t follow the hoses because the are not free anymore. The reason people aren’t doing a gasswitch that way is because a lot of accidents happened with gas switches. It can kill you or your buddy.

Do you think somebody who wouldn’t pass itt or fundamentals should do a 165 feet dive ?

Would you do a 165 feet/49,5 meter dive with the topic starter?

(I would’t do a 165 feet dive with topic starter. I have done that kind of dives with people I have never dived before.)

(I would never publish that kind of movies. It doesn’t matter if it was my buddy or somebody I don’t know. But the instructor did allow him to film during the coarse and the student did publish it.

I don’t like it. But I think the message a lot of experienced techdivers are telling is right.)

It appears that a number of you instructors don't get "something" but in your case Barth, since English isn't your first language, I'll let it go.

For clarity, my displeasure with what occurred on this thread has nothing to do with how a number of instructors believe it should be done nor the reasons that you have for doing them the way that you do and/or teach.

My displeasure arises from the demonstration of a LACK of SKILLS showing discernment and professionalism HERE in this THREAD with THIS student.

Thank you for the camera answers. I didn’t have the opportunity to watch the video, so I had no idea what sort of camera was used.

My displeasure arises from the display of a LACK of SKILLS showing discernment and professionalism HERE in this THREAD with THIS student.

Say an instructor (or skilled diver) sees a video of a student (and their instructor), with issues that raise concerns, say deco gas procedures, or trim issues, or kneeling issues, or any of several issues often debated here.

How would you suggest that the instructor/diver raise those issues to a student that felt no issues existed?
Or do you suggest not raising them?
As general collective critique and improvement of practice is rather a theme of the board, even a reason for existence.
And the OP posted in the advanced (ETA: technical) not basic forum.
(ETA: also collective education of current, hopefully best, practice is a reason for existence. Presumably)

(On the camera, the video is from the right side of the OPs head. They mention on video it was a recently bought Paralenz, of which their buddy had one as well. 4.5 x 1.4 x 1.5, goes on the mask strap. Paralenz Action Dive Camera+ | Dive Gear Express®. )

You have a photographic memory or have you copied and saved the OP's video?

By the way, I must make clear, that everything that I have said on this thread is as a member of Scubaboard and NOT as a Staff moderator.

Any of you are completely free to report me and if my position or any of my posts in this thread are deemed 'discipline or deletion' worthy then that will be my fate and the fate of any one or more of my posts in this thread.

I'm going to bed now. May or may not pick this up again tomorrow.

You have a photographic memory or have you copied and saved the OP's video?
If you meant me, No, I do not have photographic memory, but the OP on leaving the gravely area, as they ascended to over the lip to where they stashed the stages, said they were very glad to have the camera, helped in reviewing things they would have forgotten, just got it, then the view of the stages appears.

(ETA: actually not after the gravel area, but after their buddy in front of them (leading, when OP was supposed to) retrieved the strobe, before OP went through the hatch to where the strobe was.) But I can not visualize the transition from that to when OP goes hand over hand up the wall (with some thin loose sheet like stuff growing out of it).

So, not photographic, but I could likely recite many points of the video. (I'm sure with some errors.). During Deco OP fixes strap of buddy that had been covering buddies camera lens to that point.... Not photographic. Watched video once. Did not save a copy.

Night is a good call, all around.

I do not feel this thread was as harsh as some believe. That is their opinion and this is mine.

As an instructor, a wreck head , tech diver and a JC fan, I found the video to be great but the skills shown, which were allowed by the instructor, to be lackluster at best. This is not a knock on the students as they did their best and passed the course by all accounts.

People have stated that buoyancy and trim are not that big of a deal and can be worked on later. If this was an open water course, maybe that argument would be valid. However this is an overhead Advanced Wreck course where proper buoyancy and trim are extremely important! The right position in the water column while inside a wreck can help to prevent entanglements, silt outs as well as damage to the wreck. Not to mention damage kneeling on the wreck causes the organisms that now call that wreck home.

IMHO, this thread is very telling about the industry and allows us to talk with others and try and find ways to make the industry better as a whole with much higher training standards. Especially when it involves overhead environments and technical diving.

You know what was missing from the video? John Chatterton doing any instruction. I watched most of the video (I fast forwarded some of the predive). I never heard chatterton say a word. I did not see any post dive debriefing. I saw students doing skills. Did Chatterton discuss their mistakes post dive? I have no idea. The OP did not discuss the predive briefing or the post dive discussion. There was a commentary by the student from his perspective, other than that, no Chatterton. So the criticism seems to be, “I heard he was like this and now I have proof.” You can pretty much read anything you want into the video you choose to. Lacking any context or defense, label the instructor any way you want.

I am replying to this post for convenience, there were several asking about whether JC did anything about the buoyancy issue. While I was not there, I did download the debrief notes the OP linked to, and there are some interesting points. I feel I learned a bit about wreck diving just from reading them.

As to the buoyancy here is a screen grab:

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 10.42.44.png

First column is "Who", then "What" then the current issue then the desired outcome.
Not sure who came up with this way of documenting a debrief but I am definitely going to steal, I mean borrow some of it. Full file attached.

Attachments

• Hydro Notes.xlsx
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
Hey I just wanted to watch a penetration video, without all the fuss

through a paralenz camera mounted to a mask strap on the right side
with a couple of 1.5 metre grouper on the Queensland wreck CEMENTCO
solo
with one of these sometimes
DGX 800 Handheld Light | Dive Gear Express®

@abnfrog - What about instructors with camera? That was actually more what I had in mind.

Ugh. Where's your focus, your camera or your student?

I briefly got sucked into the video'ing my students for everything then I came back to my senses. Now, the only time I use a camera in classes is for video review of student performance and I only record in areas they have previously been certified for. That means for your typical cavern/intro to tech/AN/DP course - in open water while doing basic skills (buoyancy/trim/kicks). CCR, only after they have already spent a few days on the unit, and again it's just briefly to shoot video of buoyancy/trim for review.

The video I shoot also gets destroyed after the course is completed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom