Castor Sept 14-18 with Underwater Explorers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig: Did you choose Sept 14th - 18th because they worked best with your schedule, or did you choose them because you think they are optimum dates for Goliath grouper aggregation?

I see you're also diving Aug. 17th-22nd.....I assume the September dates are more optimum? Yes/no/maybe?

I dove out of Jupiter last week (once with JDC and once with Scuba Works) and am planning to return in August/September specifically for the aggregation. Any way to attempt to judge optimum dates, i.e., around a full moon or some other factor perhaps?
Hi @GR8FUL

Easy question, more complex answer. I'm coming down next week with my wife, I've not had the opportunity to dive with her in Florida for quite a while. She is not fond of diving on the Castor, so we plan to do reef dives. If it turns out there is a trip to the Castor, she will take the day off or both of us will go on another boat.

I've been diving year round in Boynton Beach for 10 years. I've always had my best luck with aggregation in September. Some years have been phenomenal and some have been lackluster. Hurricane Irma completely destroyed it in 2017. The trip in Sept will be just me, my wife is staying home in PA. Spawning actually occurs around the new moon. Spawning occurs at night and has been rarely observed. So the new moon is actually 2 weeks before my visit. As you can see, the Explorer is chartered for days around the new moon Aug/Sept. In my simplistic view, the Goliath Grouper are just hanging out between new moon cycles, just waiting for their turn. Not very scientific, I always just hope that there are many GG around, I have seen hundreds on and around the Castor. Of course, there are also the bait balls and the hunters to keep you entertained. When you are lucky, you'll see the couple of Bull Sharks that call the Castor home.

Very best and good diving, Craig

@scubadada
I think Ill go with kevin and you guys a couple of those days.
I like that they leave early... so i get back early to swim in the ocean with my daughter.

Hi @GR8FUL

Easy question, more complex answer. I'm coming down next week with my wife, I've not had the opportunity to dive with her in Florida for quite a while. She is not fond of diving on the Castor, so we plan to do reef dives. If it turns out there is a trip to the Castor, she will take the day off or both of us will go on another boat.

I've been diving year round in Boynton Beach for 10 years. I've always had my best luck with aggregation in September. Some years have been phenomenal and some have been lackluster. Hurricane Irma completely destroyed it in 2017. The trip in Sept will be just me, my wife is staying home in PA. Spawning actually occurs around the new moon. Spawning occurs at night and has been rarely observed. So the new moon is actually 2 weeks before my visit. As you can see, the Explorer is chartered for days around the new moon Aug/Sept. In my simplistic view, the Goliath Grouper are just hanging out between new moon cycles, just waiting for their turn. Not very scientific, I always just hope that there are many GG around, I have seen hundreds on and around the Castor. Of course, there are also the bait balls and the hunters to keep you entertained. When you are lucky, you'll see the couple of Bull Sharks that call the Castor home.

Very best and good diving, Craig

Thx for the detailed answer--as you said, maybe not scientific but sounds logical! I'm retired & my schedule is fairly flexible, if you're trying to charter the whole boat & have two days with room for one more on the September trip I'm in! Feel free to reply here or PM me. Doug

Have fun out there. Viz should be good. Seas should be flat I'll be out continuing my assault on the lobster population... not far from the Castor

Got an email from Kevin that Monday's trip is cancelled, hope to make it down to south FL when the weather & conditions improve.

I got out to the Castor this afternoon with Starfish. The visibility was mediocre, water was warm, modest north current. There were probably around 40 Goliath Grouper on the wreck split between the bow and the stern superstructure. There were also many Bar Jacks and Horse Eye Jacks bombing the bait balls. A good number of Barracuda rounded out the show. I started the 2nd dive on the outside of Gulfstream and had a good 4-5 fingers before I cut across the reef to Black Condo. The reef has a fair amount of sand and silt on it from the hurricane but, otherwise is unhurt.

I'm pretty sure I will get out tomorrow and Monday with Loggerhead. Tues and Wed don't look that good, we'll see.

I got out to the Castor this afternoon with Starfish. The visibility was mediocre, water was warm, modest north current. ...
Love that Starfish will run when others won't in the waves. I'm still chained to my desk on a project, Thanks for the conditions report !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom