OMS Soft Stabilizer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have the center-center dimensions of the grommets and care to post it?

TIA

I just went and measured mine: 11" .
PS: How do you like your Kraken? I would like to have remote bubbles but I'm hesitant to sacrifice convenience and practicality too much.

Center to center, 10 7/8" give or take a couple of mm. The fabric stretches a little, easier when wet.

PS: How do you like your Kraken? I would like to have remote bubbles but I'm hesitant to sacrifice convenience and practicality too much.

I really enjoy it. Breathes as good as my SPMK-17/G250v regs. Almost all of my diving is done on DH regulators, the exception being Tech/Techreational. So nice with bubbles behind you. What sacrifice? I guess I don't understand your concerns of convenience and practicallity...

Maybe I should just go with breathability. I do not always follow the Scubaboard dictate of horizontal trim. I like to hug the reef and sneak up on fish and often find myself upside down to get a better look under low ledges or sideways, or any other way. I now dive with an Atomic regulator that breathes dry and pretty easily in all orientations. I've had other regulators that have not been so easy to get along with. I would not expect a DH regulator to be so easy going, but I would not like to cycle between sucking overly hard and feeling like the air was coming out my ears as I twist and turn underwater. Obviously the big advantage would be getting closer to the reef fish which is important to me.

This idea of a Kraken is geared towards a planned trip back to Bangka, Indonesia next September. I would be able to devote a lot of pool time before then to adapt to the DH system. I want to be able to concentrate on the reef rather than the equipment.

So, I guess what I'm really asking is: with practice can diving with a Kraken be as transparent as diving with a standard single hose regulator?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.
PS: I have used the OMS soft stabiliser for a few years and find it to work very well for me.

Anyone have the center-center dimensions of the grommets and care to post it?

TIA

should be industry standard, though most of the fabric products are cut a smidgen smaller so they grab onto the bolts and to account for expansion when wet.

Maybe I should just go with breathability. I do not always follow the Scubaboard dictate of horizontal trim. I like to hug the reef and sneak up on fish and often find myself upside down to get a better look under low ledges or sideways, or any other way. I now dive with an Atomic regulator that breathes dry and pretty easily in all orientations. I've had other regulators that have not been so easy to get along with. I would not expect a DH regulator to be so easy going, but I would not like to cycle between sucking overly hard and feeling like the air was coming out my ears as I twist and turn underwater. Obviously the big advantage would be getting closer to the reef fish which is important to me.

This idea of a Kraken is geared towards a planned trip back to Bangka, Indonesia next September. I would be able to devote a lot of pool time before then to adapt to the DH system. I want to be able to concentrate on the reef rather than the equipment.

So, I guess what I'm really asking is: with practice can diving with a Kraken be as transparent as diving with a standard single hose regulator?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.
PS: I have used the OMS soft stabiliser for a few years and find it to work very well for me.

DH breathes different in different orientations. It doesn't breathe as well in true horizontal trim as a single hose reg, and can give you chipmunk cheeks when you're head up. I don't find this to be an issue when photographing anything because horizontal trim isn't as conducive to getting ones head behind the camera, and I'm rarely head up.

As for learning to dive DH, it's easy. It takes a focused pool session and that's about it. However, there are differences you have to be aware of, clearing by exhale is more difficult. Clearing by purging is not by button. Take 5 minutes and read an old manual and you'll get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom