STA vs. Built in roll control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mason Gierke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am diving a Dive Rite BP/W with a STA, my first stage is a DIN with yoke adapter. I tend to hit my head on my first stage more than I would like but can live with it. I was thinking of getting a wing with built in roll control to eliminate the sta during travel but I'm worried this will move the first stage even closer to the back of my head. Anyone else have experience with this?

I go both ways - STA for local cool water diving, no STA and wing with roll control for vacation. The difference in tank location is maybe 1/4 inch farth away with STA.

The Yoke adapter is probably not doing you any favors, but your tank might also be a little high if you're hitting your head on the 1st stage.

The Yoke adapter is probably not doing you any favors, but your tank might also be a little high if you're hitting your head on the 1st stage.

this... Yoke for yoke, DIN for DIN. Adapters are good in a pinch, but suck.... YMMV

Adapter is a comprise.
I convert my Apeks DIN reg to A-clamp version when travelling. And the brand new STA is still sitting somewhere in my flat. Built in roll control or pad is way better than STA.

If you're renting tanks...ask if they have convertible valves available. They should be willing to pull the adapter for you so that you can use your first stage without the yoke adapter. I did this for some dives before I got my own tanks.

To answer your question though...yes...removing the STA will put your first stage even closer to your head than it is currently.

I would think that with the tank closer to your back, the first stage would be closer towards your neck, reducing the likelihood of hitting your head.

I'll try to get a picture of tomorrow at the quarry. If I move the tank any lower then the top cam band will not fully grip the tank.

Loosen your vertical chest straps and tighten your crotch strap. That works for me.

Other aspect, I have roll controls (rolling isn’t the issue), but the tank pivoting (vertically off centre vs the plate) between dives so I’m thinking of going mini STA’s to fix that.

One thing I forgot to mention in my response yesterday - My STA, in it's original configuration, forced me to mount the tank a good 2 inches higher than where i could mount it without the STA. IF you chose to get an STA, make sure the top slots are low

Example - DGX STA vs Dive rite STA

DGX - top slots are high - therefore tank must be high:
dx-204002pd_1.jpg

Dive rite - top slots are lower, therefore tank can be lower:
dr-bc1090ss_1_1_1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom