Who, precisely, are we not permitted to criticize on this board?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t think I’ve ever hated a lawyer. I do prefer that everyone know where they stand, whether they owe dues to the Florida Bar and are working as a ‘marijuana scientist’ or hanging next to me in ScubaBoard Jail.

But I don’t hate lawyers. When you need one, you need one bad.

I don’t think I’ve ever hated a lawyer. I do prefer that everyone know where they stand, whether they owe dues to the Florida Bar and are working as a ‘marijuana scientist’ or hanging next to me in ScubaBoard Jail.

But I don’t hate lawyers. When you need one, you need one bad.
Along with guns and money

Yesterday, I was banned for a day, and a host of posts have now been deleted, which concerned the Conception fire.

The reason for the ban and deletion, is that while what I had posted was truthful and accurate, it was also critical of a moderator and financial supporter of this site.

I will not name names here, but there are people on this board who are passing themselves off - and being accepted as - experts on safety, and there are things that those people have said and done that the rest of us need to know about. Both so they can decide how much weight to give to those people's claims, and so they can make their own judgments about which operators are and are not behaving in a safe manner.

I think I would have to dissagree with you. If there is a problem in our sport it is more beneficial to discuss and find a fix rather than point at individuals in a mannor that will not move things to a positive resolution. Yes discussions get heated at times, and for many reasons good or bad but eventually we all get on the same page and still both agree and dissagre. When it comes to the topic of the boat fire there is going to be perhaps 4 groups in the talk. the legal eagals, the boat operators. the customers and a bunch of passive readers. Each one participating from a different perspsective and there fore BIAS. It makes no difference what the legal boys or the operators or the customers says to what the world is like. It is what actually happens that counts. Most everything else is speculation and that leads to name calling and then egos take over and nothing is productive. I accept that sometimes you have to agree to disagree. Itis the only civil way to do things. Bring a veteran I know very well that a 4.0 safety inspection result means nothing. It means that you put on a good show and had contacts to tell you what the inspectors are looking for this week. I can guarantee that I have had run ins when it comes to opinions on many posts and I am happy to say that for the most part we have found common ground and worked through the misunderstandings either by open post or PM's and came to a positive outcome. Even if it was that we will never agree. And that is fine. What we cant do is make a disagreement personal and that is what personal attacks is about. Personally I could care less if a couple of roosters want to peck it out in the farm yard. I just dont want it to be in the same yard where we are discussing Henny Penny's fear s to whether the sky is falling or not.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I'll try to make this short.
The answer to the question posed in the title of this thread is that you can criticize any Moderator here in this forum. As should be obvious, you are not required to be polite. You can criticize others elsewhere, but you must be polite.

Moderators who appear in threads without the red banner above are participating as members, and are entitled to the same courtesy extended all members. Inappropriate posts from Moderators, just like other members, have been deleted from contentious threads.

In this forum in contrast, as should be obvious, there is minimal to no moderation, and the criticism of named moderators will be taken under advisement. Thank you for your input.

However, please note that the latitude extended here towards criticism of Moderators, and latitude extended in the Pub toward criticism of just about anything else, is NOT extended elsewhere. Please be courteous, or expect to be deleted or thread banned.

Finally, a Moderator who participates in a thread as a member, does not moderate in that thread. A Moderator who moderates a thread does not participate. You have not seen my name, for example, in the Conception thread. Feel free to express your opinions of the moderation of that or any thread here.

You may contact the owner directly via the website.

Thank you.

OK, it would be bad if I was doing that. Where are the good ones who should supposedly be cleaning up this thread?
As rsingler and others stated, Site Support and Feedback are a "gloves off" zone, to allow personal criticism of staff in a transparent fashion.

Great. @Wookie is another problematic moderator. Can’t separate his opinion from responsibilities as a moderator. Is frequently demeaning and sets a tone of incivility.

Again, Frank is not a moderator. There are several different categories of "Staff" but only one badge. It is a recurring issue that members get confused as to what is a member posting or an official "staff opinion". Bear in mind, we are all volunteers and we were asked to and agree to mod because we enjoyed contributing and being a part of the Board. If we were no longer allowed to post as ourselves I doubt anyone would do it.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

As rsingler pointed out, this is what an "Official" post looks like.

spread chemtrails from your boat because the planes aren't doing a good enough job.

Hey, I am doing the best I can!

To get this thread back on track:1

Any staff level person can choose to display the badge. Those levels include:

Medical Moderator
Advisor

Administrator
the Chairman
SysAdmin

hth,

Really I just wanted to test the swear filter. I'm hoping at some point to confuse the algorithm enough that it just blocks out random words in my posts. Heuristics is fun. At least I'm hoping Xenforo works like that...
You were so close on one of them...don't give up.
And thanks for the new addition.

What is my responsibility as ScubaBoard staff? I know what the owner told me, but I’m breathless wondering what you think?

I don't have a high bar, but as I have alluded to setting a civil tone and not being demeaning would be a good start; in other words model the behavior that @The Chairman says is expected on SB.

I don't have the same beef as the OP, I've never been banned or complained about moderated (and yes I have been a few times, using humor in the new divers forum, thread merges etc). But I have posted several times about civility in conversation; and unfortunately some of the SB staff are the basis for those posts.

To get this thread back on track:
Any staff level person can choose to display the badge. Those levels include:
Medical Moderator
Advisor :wookie:
Administrator
the Chairman
SysAdmin
(see how cleverly I outed Frank...lol)

This is interesting and I really do appreciate the education on the SB staff structure but, 1. these levels of staff are not readily apparent in posts and 2. I'm not sure that it matters all that much. The thing that stands out in posts is the big blue banner that says Staff Member. If you are Staff for any organization or company there is an expectation that you will conduct yourself in a way the represents the values of the company or organization.

I have posted in other forums that I have asked several dive professionals and friends if they participate in SB, they all give me the same answer, No, because the forum is just too toxic and they would rather their diving interactions be positive and enjoyable.

I jumped on this thread not because I agree with or am defending the OP, but because it seemed like a fair opportunity to advance the idea that Staff Members should hold themselves to a higher standard of civility and tone in their posts. I imagine that this thread is causing a fair amount of internal discussion and debate among the staff and it is my hope that it causes a change in tone overall or leads to a change in the rules that he SB Staff use to identify themselves.

Staff Members should hold themselves to a higher standard of civility and tone in their posts.
Like @RainPilot said, we're doing the best we can.

However, moderators are primarily board members, the mod job is secondary. And the pay sucks, it ought at least to be doubled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom