• Atomic Z2 environmentally sealed

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Deep 6 Signature

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Apex XTX50

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does your local shop or one near you service D6 or will you get into self service? If the answer is no to either of those I'd probably not buy D6.

I'm not a piston fan.

I've owned both Atomic and Apeks. Still dive Apeks. I've used Apeks for many years, never an issue. I self service and Apeks are very simple, reliable and high performers. Not sure I'd pay US prices for them though.

Performance wise, equally tuned I'm not sure you'd be able to tell the difference between any of them.

So it comes down to piston or diaphragm, ease or servicing and price.
Why aren’t you a fan of pistons?

I would separate your rec and tech reg choices. The Z2 is an excellent breather for rec. I use Deep 6 for tech sidemount.

Both are very affordable.

Why aren’t you a fan of pistons?

We've never gotten along very well. The only first stages I've ever owned that have given me trouble, new, while servicing and after servicing have been piston regs. I don't like the method of sealing and cleaning them if unsealed requires a tad more care. Not big deals any of it but for me diaphragm regs have proven more reliable and I find them easier to service. I dive often cold and almost always dirty water, diaphragm first stages suit me and my needs better. YMMV.

Any differences in service interval recommendations these days? When I bought my Atomic Aquatics B2 (a piston reg. I like), I was told of one 'trade off' or sorts. I'd get a longer than usual recommended service interval, but when rinsing it after diving, rather than just leaving it soaking in the rinse tank (with dust cap on the 1st stage, of course), I was to either do so with it pressurized on a tank (which I have never done), or soak in such a way that water from the 2nd stage could not travel up the hose to get into the 1st stage.

In other words, I don't submerge the 1st and 2nd stages at the same time, unless I'm careful that a loop of hose is above water, and I aim to see the water can't drain to the 1st stage.

I was told the same thing about a Sherwood SR1 reg. that I picked up years later.

I've read about 1st stages enough to know I will probably never understand their inner workings or why that all matters. I just know that's what I was told to do.

Is there still a significant difference in service interval recommendations between some piston reg.s and diaphragm reg.s? Are such differences driving what people are doing in the 'real world?'

Apologies in advance if I've misunderstood anything. My brain locked up years ago trying to understand the internal differences of the 1st stages.

Richard.

I have a z2 and a deep 6 reg. Z2 is my main regulator, deep 6 lives on my pony tank. I prefer how my z2 breathes, but honestly, they're both great regs and you can't go wrong with either.

I've read about 1st stages enough to know I will probably never understand their inner workings or why that all matters. I just know that's what I was told to do.
On the atomics, it's the seat saver in the 2nd stage that causes this. When it is pressurized, the valve seat is pressed into contact with the valve. Without pressure, water can leak past it up into the first stage. This extends the service life because the valve seat doesn't have the valve pushing on it during periods of storage, but provides a leak path into the first stage.

Apeks=no change in 15 years, but no price break to reflect it. Corporate overlords refuse to allow parts kits to be sold to end users and have been known to cancel dealerships when caught. They're out in my book on top tier pricing, resting on their laurels, and annoying parts availability.

I'm not familiar with Deep 6, but I would not talk anyone out of considering Apeks for the reasons you mentioned. In fact Apeks regs are very good, handy and reliable - even unchanged for 15 years. I have used Apeks XTX100 and XTX50 DST for quite some time. They work seamlessly even in a very cold water and I have not felt a need for innovations. I don't service regs myself, but I never encountered any problems to get them serviced by my technician. I agree though, that the price may be too high and in this respect Deep 6 looks attractive.

Just had a look at US prices for Apeks regs. Wow they're expensive. In the UK, you can get an ATX40 with an ATX40 octopus for £243. That's just over US$300. Unless you need more than one HP port, I can't really see the point in spending any more.

Just had a look at US prices for Apeks regs. Wow they're expensive. In the UK, you can get an ATX40 with an ATX40 octopus for £243. That's just over US$300. Unless you need more than one HP port, I can't really see the point in spending any more.
Yeah they are really pricey unfortunately. I wonder why there is such a price discrepancy between the US and UK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom