Need authentic local food in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may note I inserted a series of asterisks in your quote. Gordon, I am not picking on you, I am just fed up with that word. I am posting my thoughts on it on a new post.

Actually, I thought about what to call the music quite a bit before I called it that. It's not "American" music, per se, because a lot of it is British (etc.), and countries south of the US/Mexico border are also American. It's not all in English and not all music in English is it. It's not any particular genre. The word I used isn't, IMO, a pejorative, it's just the label I put on the circle of the Venn diagram of all music that encompasses the music I am talking about, and no other label I could think of is its equivalent.

Maybe it's like the "N" word; being one myself I can use it. :D

Yeah, loud music in restaurant bothers me too. However, loud music is a Mexican cultural preference. It is not done specifically for the benefit of tourists. .

I too was under the impression that it was often played to attract tourists, especially when it's American rock and roll. However, I have noticed that many Spanish movies (Spain, Mexico, etc) will have all the dialogue in Spanish and yet all or most of the music is American and in English. I guess American music is popular in many other countries.

the genetic aberration they were born with makes the aldehyde in cilantro smell just like the aldehyde in soap. The rest of us get that clean, green, fresh taste that we love so well.

Weird thing: my wife and I always used to hate the soapy, metallic taste of cilantro that we'd pick finely-chopped cilantro out of salsa. Now we love it. We both note the soapy taste if we think about it, but it is no longer repellent at all.

Hello all,
My trip is coming up... yay! Be there Sunday evening to Friday noon.

Took notes for local eateries.

Any local Mexican dessert or juices i shouldn't miss?

Assuming they prep juices using filtered water / ice

Hello all,
My trip is coming up... yay! Be there Sunday evening to Friday noon.

Took notes for local eateries.

Any local Mexican dessert or juices i shouldn't miss?

Assuming they prep juices using filtered water / ice

Don't miss the agave juice. They sell it on every street corner.

Don't miss the agave juice. They sell it on every street corner.
As long as it is pure juice, i doubt street sellers will use bottled water. Thx

It's fermented.

So are the sauces on many of the tables of the local restaurants! Especially in the summertime. You can even get "fizzy" ketchup in Cozumel in the summertime.

For dessert, get flan. We judge restaurants largely on the quality of the flan. Casa Denis has really good flan, but sometimes they run out. Sometimes we have dinner somewhere else and got to Casa Denis just to get the flan. Los Otates has good flan. Ask when you sit down so they save you one.

My favorite Mexican beverage, other than cerveza, is jamaica (the “j” is pronounced like an “h”), which is an infusion made with hibiscus flowers. Very red, your lips and tongue will likely be red. Not too sweet, very refreshing. Cervecería Punta Sur often makes a good jamaica wheat beer. Great on a hot summer night. A DM friend brought me a drink called piña chaya. I’m not sure where to buy it, apparently from a street vendor or at the mercado. A combination of pineapple juice and chaya juice, which Mexicans tell Americans is “Mexican spinach.” It’s a green leafy vegetable, but not really much like spinach. It’s always cooked, because it’s poisonous raw. One of my favorite vegetables and piña chaya is awesome. I need to get my friend to take me to get some when I come down in March. Many people like horchata, which is sort of a liquid version of rice pudding. Horchata is not really my thing. You may see watermelon juice and mango juice, which are good. There’s a variation called agua fresca, which is a generic word for drinks with fruit. They’re not entirely juice, but they are made with juice.

Back
Top Bottom