Who, precisely, are we not permitted to criticize on this board?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I banned you and I did not follow procedure to do so. Thus you are back.

That said, you sure manage to put a lot of lies in this thread.

I banned you because you were attacking a member in a vicious manner and doing everything you could to make him look bad.

I should have just moderated it but...

It may be your view that my attack was "vicious." But it was also *entirely truthful*.

It is his own actions and words that make him look bad - not me.

This is the point: You seem to be moderating for the purpose of protecting someone's reputation.

In doing so, you are preventing the community from learning things that they need to know.

I stand behind every single thing I wrote as truthful, and I am prepared to prove it.

That includes my description of the post that the person deleted - which, fortunately, I have in my email.

When someone is gracious enough to invite me into their home
Unless I lose total control I make sure to not **** on their carpet
SB became a public forum and lost control of its content to the public the instant it created this forum.
And if you don't believe that, fine, but I'd simply observe that it is good if people don't crap on your floor, but it's even better when you don't crap on your guests.

What you posted was not accurate, was highly biased, was inflammatory and close to libelous. I cheered your ban. I'm sorry to see you back. Please try and find a way to add value rather than trying to demean and be mean.

Quote one thing -- just one thing -- I said that wasn't entirely truthful.

POV warriors are a special breed. Like a bulldog on a bone, they keep gnawing at it long after all the meat is gone and everyone else is bored with their vitriol. No, they don't see any problem with their ad nauseum attacks. They are too impressed with themselves to see, much less admit to any flaw.

We've asked everyone to be civil when you signed up. We continue to remind everyone to be civil when you post. If you can't be civil, we will ban you and delete any incivil posts. We also ask everyone to be on topic, except in the pub. Derailing a thread to advance your point of view, no matter how important you feel that information may be, is not going to be tolerated. Continued character assassinations usually cross both civil and on topic boundaries. No need to be a cyber stalker!

Be nice. Stay on topic. Two ways to keep from getting banned or having your messages deleted. So make your point once in an on topic manner and everyone will be happy.If you don't want to or simply can't be civil and on topic, then please head over to rec.scuba. You'll fit right in.

Now look what we have here: a complaint thread. If we didn't allow criticisms, this would have been deleted right after it was posted. No one is getting banned for telling us how horrible we are. All we ask is that you be nice and stay on topic.

So who did you criticize?

Asking so I don't make the same mistake.

You know, I like to color inside the lines and all.

Wow, can someone tell me how this action turned out? I trust that it was dismissed, with prejudice. Thanks.
"She-who-must-not-be-named"

You won't find your in-depth answer on this board, one would need to search elsewhere...

POV warriors are a special breed. Like a bulldog on a bone, they keep gnawing at it long after all the meat is gone and everyone else is bored with their vitriol. No, they don't see any problem with their ad nauseum attacks. They are too impressed with themselves to see, much less admit to any flaw.

We've asked everyone to be civil when you signed up. We continue to remind everyone to be civil when you post. If you can't be civil, we will ban you and delete any incivil posts. We also ask everyone to be on topic, except in the pub. Derailing a thread to advance your point of view, no matter how important you feel that information may be, is not going to be tolerated. Continued character assassinations usually cross both civil and on topic boundaries. No need to be a cyber stalker!

Be nice. Stay on topic. Two ways to keep from getting banned or having your messages deleted. So make your point once in an on topic manner and everyone will be happy.If you don't want to or simply can't be civil and on topic, then please head over to rec.scuba. You'll fit right in.

Now look what we have here: a complaint thread. If we didn't allow criticisms, this would have been deleted right after it was posted. No one is getting banned for telling us how horrible we are. All we ask is that you be nice and stay on topic.

Some of the most inelegant and demeaning posts come from SB staff members. It does not help a “moderators” or SBs reputation when that occurs, in fact it ruins the appearance of impartiality and sets a tone of incivility.

One suggestion would be to have staff use multiple accounts. One for their personal opinions, that does not say SB staff and their official one for their actions as staff and moderators. Good fences often make good neighbors.

Man, I wish I had a wayback machine. I was following pretty closely at the time and don't recall reading anything that made me cringe at the time, so I may have read whatever caused offense but don't even know it!

Man, I wish I had a wayback machine. I was following pretty closely at the time and don't recall reading anything that made me cringe at the time, so I may have read whatever caused offense but don't even know it!
Me too, I assume it is what led to the last lock down

Be nice. Stay on topic.

My posts were absolutely civil - and directly on-topic. In fact, they were far more civil than the posts I was responding to.

The person who issued the ban does not claim that my posts were off-topic. He claims that they were not truthful. (They were.) He claims that they were uncivil, only in the sense that they were damaging to the reputation of a certain person -- in the sense that discussing that person's own words and actions made them look bad.

If you object to the way I raised the issue -- what is the proper forum in which to discuss it? It plainly concerns (a) the Conception fire, (b) the legal issues related to the Conception fire, (c) the use of liability waivers pervasive in the US dive industry, (d) the culture of certain dive industry professionals; (e) whether a number of currently operating liveaboard boats are safe for passengers, and (f) whether a person who holds themselves out on this board as an expert on the appropriate standard for safety in the dive industry, and is treated as such, is actually quite reckless, endangered passengers for years, and concealed from them an extraordinarily serious safety problem.

Back
Top Bottom